New Employees starting at higher grades

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4152 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

The company I was transitioned into four years ago has different grades for each role. When I was transitioned in I was started on the bottom grade. The company did not tell us about these grades until the beginning of this year (nor is the information available on their intranet). I have managed to get myself promoted a grade which resulted in a salary increase. It is only possible to get promoted a grade once a year and certain pre-requisites have to be met first.

The company is now recruiting new employees at a higher grade (and so at a higher salary) than I and my colleagues. It will not be possible for us to get to this grade for several years.

Can anyone kindly give any advice as to how I should approach my employer about this? It seems unjust that we weren't told about the grading structure or been given the opportunity to apply for a job at a higher grade.

Many thanks.

It is possible that they are recruiting for new hires with different skills/experience, but my immediate manager can't or won't tell me what those different skills might be or why they need to recruit people with different skills to do the same job as me.