• Tweets

• Sorry I didn’t think to come and update this.    So the outcome was that he went to court. Apparently the judge told the landlord off for not sending a letter before action but did nothing about it. He didn’t accept all the damages the landlord claimed, and told him off for accusing my friend of deliberately and maliciously damaging anything, and he awarded him small amounts of the damages he claimed for. The landlord had also made an awful lot of things up that never existed and accused my friend of stealing them, and the judge didn’t accept any of those claims.   However, I’m back asking advice now. So he made an offer of payment via the court forms, sometime before Christmas and straight after the hearing. The landlord didn’t reply so the court accepted the payments.  My friend has been paying the £10 a month each month. Then a couple of days ago he had received a letter from court with a hearing date in a couple of weeks, and a very irate letter from the landlord saying that my friend has consistently lied and that nothing he says should be believed, and that he wants the bailiffs to be called on him and that he absolutely refuses the payment plan. The letter is marked as received by the courts in December and this is the first that’s been sent since then. My friend and his wife are now panicked, what does this mean? And can they now get bailiffs sent round? He earns an ok wage, which somehow the landlord has referred to in his letter, but he equally has a lot of expenditure and can’t afford to pay any more. What will happen at this hearing and can they send out the bailiffs just because the landlord wants them to?    I have no clue what to advise him, can you help at all please?
    • Thanks Bank – I took your cynicism / experience on board and responded thus: Thank you for your response Mr Schnur  I set out my position quite clearly in my letter of claim and nothing has changed. Your insurance requirement is unlawful and is contrary to section 57 of the Consumer Rights Act, and also section 72 of the same statute. I would also refer you to the outcomes in PENCHEV v P2G (225MC852) and SMIRNOVS v P2G (27MC729).  My deadline for action - 1 May 2024 - still stands.
    • The other thing is that you are making a big mistake imagining that they are at all concerned about wasting court costs et cetera. They are only concerned about being obstructive and discouraging others.  
    • I have dad's last will from 2019 which mentions the trust. I am in the process of going through probate as the only thing that needs probate is a couple of shares he has (under £3000).  Speaking to my brother and my dad's wife they wouldn't mind going with another solicitor if we need to pay extra for the trust.   
    • That's fine. My taste is for something rather more brusque and that he won't forget – but it's your letter
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

jsa sanction

oblivious
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4146 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What happens if you sign off before a sanction is refferred? I went to sign on today and the advisor decided I had not done enough to look for work. After much argueing I filled the page in and signed off will the sanction still be refferred? I am sick and tired of having to justify myself all the time. I even have a job to start in Jan but they still saying I am not doing enough!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, if the sanction goes ahead it will be applied the next time you make a claim for JSA.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

OK, well let's try to make sure it doesn't come to that!

You said on the other thread that you claim HB - you need to go and talk to them and will probably have to make a new claim based on having no income.

Is there any chance that you could get an earlier start at your new job?

I really wish you hadn't signed off - sanctions can be appealed, and there are people here who can help you with that. Someone more knowledgeable should be along soon, and they may be able to help you progress from here.

People do care, Oblivion - if they didn't, sites like this wouldn't exist.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

thanks laughing girl will inform the housing benefits. I cannot appeal as they got me bang to rights! I am meant to write to 10 employers each week but only did 16 out of the twenty. My gripe is I thought the agreement was unreasonable six months ago but they would'nt change it. I was supposed to pay for a CRB check but cannot now so will probably lose the job anyway have rung HR to see if they can help with this and still waiting a call back.

OK...well, that seems like an excessive amount of applications per week to me, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to argue the point.

Keep looking in on this thread, as the benefits guys here are really good at what they do. I'm sure one of them will be along later.

Let us know how the call back goes.

thanks laughing girl thats not the half of it I have to do six hours job search everyday ring 3 employers each week and ask family anf friends and do atleast 17 things each week. I have explianed to them that after a certain amount of time you cannot comply with it as you will run out of options. being doing this for 6 months and each week it gets harder and harder to keep complying as I am looking at the same jobs everyday and there are only so many I can apply for, but they not interested the agreement is designed to make you fall foul at some point

God, that's absolutely draconian in comparison to my JSAg...I only have to do three things a week and it's not even specified how many jobs I should apply for.

Having said that, I'm having the same problem as you - I've run out of employers to give CV's to in my own town, and for the whole of this week there's been no jobs posted (that I would be able to apply for) in my area. Scary times. :|

Seems a bit bizarre to me that someone who has successfully found a job, can be sanctioned.

It seems that way to me too Estellyn, but the amount of sanction threads on here has shot up over the last couple of weeks...nothing much surprises me at the minute.

the job I have been offered is only part time so they think its not enough, but what they not recognising is that there are very few full time jobs available. I wish I had your job seekers agreement laughing girl I would have no problem complying with that. I think becuase I have just finished a degree they thought I could do alot more than others but what they do not realise is no matter whether you are educated or not there are only so many jobs, employers ect to apply and write to.

the jobs I had to put down on there I am overqualified for also. I live in one of the most deprived areas to start with its madness and they will get what they want because no matter how hard you try to fight they will find another way to get what they want.

Yeah, I've flat out been told by a couple of agencies that they won't consider me for certain permanent jobs because they think I'll leave when I get something better paid (and they'd be right, too!). Unfortunately, that leaves me with low paid short term temp work, which I can't take either.

I really do sympathise, Oblivious - I hope someone will be along later with more useful advice.

the job I have been offered is only part time so they think its not enough, but what they not recognising is that there are very few full time jobs available. I wish I had your job seekers agreement laughing girl I would have no problem complying with that. I think becuase I have just finished a degree they thought I could do alot more than others but what they do not realise is no matter whether you are educated or not there are only so many jobs, employers ect to apply and write to.

It's actually much harder to get a job if you have a degree - there are few jobs out there suitable for your qualifications, and minimum wage jobs won't take you on 'cause they think you'll probably leave soon. I was there myself a few years ago, between jobs.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I have been told that too laughing girl and of course we are going to leave because the whole point in getting a degree is to get a better paid job otherwise there is no point. Education is always promoted by politians and society alike as the best way to being highly employable. My experience is that I wish I had never done it and I may have had a a job sooner.

What happens if you sign off before a sanction is refferred? I went to sign on today and the advisor decided I had not done enough to look for work. After much argueing I filled the page in and signed off will the sanction still be refferred? I am sick and tired of having to justify myself all the time. I even have a job to start in Jan but they still saying I am not doing enough!

Worst Case Scenario - if your job falls through, with the employer dispensing with your services before the Contract of Employment is issued, and you have to return to Job Seekers Allowance, then it would be far better for any Sanction Referral to be contested - if you receive the letter highlighting the sanction, I suggest that you defend your Job Search Strategy to the hilt, and get the sanction doubt overturned. If you dont, and the Sanction Doubt remains, this will impact on future benefit applications.

I don't have anything to lose. I have a daughter but if go in prison or anywhere else then at least the authorities will look after her as quite clearly I am not capable just because I missed writing to 4 employers

the 16 that I did write to apparantley do not apply so of of course in the eyes of the government I put myself in this situation so therefore I put my daughter in poverty and because of her bad mother she does not get her basic needs met and does not get a christmas either. I should be ashamed of myself according to the government.

i signed off because I thought there is point in going to sign on when I not going to recieve anything and it gives them more chances to scrutinise and may lead to more sanctions.

I did read that sanctions will continue next time you sign on - not sure how true it is, but it might be better to serve it now, than next time you claim JSA.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop