I.B. To E.S.A another thread.

buster1967
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4110 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good afternoon, I have been browsing the site for a while I thought is about time I posted with a query of my own.

First of all a breif history. I care for my wife as well as look after our three children (19,17,10) all in fulltime education. My wife is in receipt of high rate care and high rate mobility of the DLA benefit. This was awarded indefinatley after two two year awards at the same rate been awarded after two atos assessments. She also claims I.B and I.S.

We recieved the ESA 50 two weeks ago for the transfer. I have completed it and requested any face to face to be audio recorded. I have sent off lots of additional medical evidence along with a recent letter dated last week from my wife's GP that is very supportive.

Now, due to my wife's disabilities, both being physical and mental I don't think she would cope with an assessment so my questions are.

Could I claim income support in my own right to go along with my carers allowance and terminate her claim to E.S.A. thus negating the chance of a face to face for her.

I ask this because it is causing all sorts of problems for her as she is so worried about having to struggle to get to any assessment center or to even communicate with them.

I hope I have put this in a way you can understand. I am really struggling at the moment and fear I can not hold things together for us.:loco:

Hello and welcome to the forum. :) I'm sure the guys will be able to help you, I know how scary the prospect of an Atos 'medical' is.

Would it make any difference if your wife could have a home assessment? Some people have managed to arrange one.

I hope the guys will be along later with advice for you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Yes you could claim I.S. to go along with your carer's allowance, but you would need to cancel your wife's IB and I.S. as she is not on ESA until after the assessment.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I am on ESA and my wife's carer (through DLA). If I get called in for an assessment I am going to terminate my claim for ESA rather than go through the pain and humiliation of the WCA. I'm not sure what will happen when UC come in but for now we'll get shortfall made up with pension credits.

I am on ESA and my wife's carer (through DLA). If I get called in for an assessment I am going to terminate my claim for ESA rather than go through the pain and humiliation of the WCA. I'm not sure what will happen when UC come in but for now we'll get shortfall made up with pension credits.

You should think very carefully about cancelling any benefit if I were you get as much advice as you can before you make that decision how do you guarantee they will put you on Income Support if you cancel you might end up straight on Job Seekers, you got esa because you have some sort of disability/illness that's what esa is about for people with illness/disability, you can get income support without having any illness or disability. Like someone mentioned you can get your wife to have a home assessment.

I hope you don't mind my opinion and I hope this helps before you make our final decision! DWP are not people you tamper with.

You should think very carefully about cancelling any benefit if I were you get as much advice as you can before you make that decision how do you guarantee they will put you on Income Support if you cancel you might end up straight on Job Seekers, you got esa because you have some sort of disability/illness that's what esa is about for people with illness/disability, you can get income support without having any illness or disability. Like someone mentioned you can get your wife to have a home assessment.

I hope you don't mind my opinion and I hope this helps before you make our final decision! DWP are not people you tamper with.

If you get carer's allowance you are automatically entitled to income support as long as you fulfill the other criteria for an income based benefit - so if on income based ESA, with carer's allowance, changing to income support due to being a carer is perfectly within the legislation.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your replies. Sorry I have not been around for a while. I wanted to clarify a few things. I do not claim e.s.a. for myself I only recieve carer's allowance in my own right. All other benefits are in my wifes name (child tax credit, Family allowance, I.S, I.B, D.L.A & H.B/CTB.) Things have not been good here for a few weeks. Don't want to go into much detail. I am still pondering weather we could cancel my wifes I.B to E.S.A transfer and me claim I.S for us all. I just can't see us dealing with the medical assessment merry-go-round. And then if she is awarded 0 points the fear of her DLA been reviewed and the possibility of that been removed then having to appeal both decisions. The esa50 went back in on the 11th December we have heard nothing yet and normal payments have continued.

Thanks for reading.