style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3884 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have arrears on council tax and had a magistrates order to pay £100 per month.

beginning of this year wrexham cc took 2 payments for that amount and this year I called them and they said understood I could not pay so would lump it in to one payment. I have paid this each month they actually took 2 payments in july so as far as i was aware was a month ahead.

last month recived demand saying owed £138, so i wrote to them

they re did figures and said pay £173 each month as missed payment sept 2012. I checked I have not.

Now they have sent balif re court order said must pay £185 each month to them and £173 to Wreham cc I can not afford this what do I do please?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Formal complaint letter is the only way,

say why the council is wrong, and say what you want the council to do to put it right.

Not sure what a 'magistrates order' is.

A liability order doesnt set a monthly liability,

just the total sum due

but the council has discretion on when and how often they accept payments.

Take no notice of the bailiffs,

only cc them in with your complaint letter.

Any and all payments can be made direct to the council

keep bailiffs out they have no right of entry and can NOT force entry deny them a levy

if you have a car it will be vulnerable tuck it away to prevent bailiffs getting a levy on it

you do not have to make arrangements with the bailiffs or speak to them

keep themm out and they can do very little:-)

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Hi thank you.

Unfortunately i spoke to the man he insisted that i pay 185 over 10 months said that was what I had to pay there was no leway as it was arrears that had been through the magistrates court. made me sign a levy which he filled in he did not enter the house but put things down like couch mirror etc he could not see in to the house as i kept innner door shut because of my dogs. he insisted tah ti mustr pay £50 by card which i did or they would take my fuirniture.

I don't know much about bailiffs, but he CANNOT place a levy on anything he hasn't seen. I'm also almost completely certain that he can't place a levy on a couch. I'll look into that and get back to you.

Basically, he's just levied so he can charge you more in fees.

EDIT: I would say this covers a sofa, not that it's relevant because he hasn't made a legal levy:

Statutory Regulations state that the following items are exempt and must not be taken.

• "Such tools, books, vehicles and other items of equipment as are necessary for use personally in employment, business or vocation"

• "Such clothing, bedding, furniture, household equipment and provisions as are necessary for satisfying basic domestic needs of the person and family"

• Confused 1

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

the court do not state how much you have to pay each month the court only issues the liability order

either the council or the bailiff will state how much they want you to pay each month

the man who filled in the levy at your door is/should be a bailiff

can you tell me what bailiff firm he is from marstons,Jacobs or exel

your levy is unlawful because he did not enter your property

can you list exactly what goods he wrote on the notice of seizure the outstanding balance you owe to the council and the fees the bailiff has charged

have a look and see if you can find the bailiff on the register

http://certificatedbailiffs.justice.gov.uk/CertificatedBailiffs/

Edited by hallowitch
  • Confused 1

When you received the Liability Order you should have received income and expenditure forms that I believe should be returned within 14 days! This then allows the council to see what u can afford to pay!

Did you receive anything like that?

• Confused 1

IVA Entry Removed

Nationwide Default Removed

Nationwide Joint Account Default Removed

Natwest Default Removed

Blackhorse Car Finance Court Claim - Won

Hi Thank you for response.

The company was jacobs

yes i filled in an income and expenditure.

I was lead to believe by the council that the court order the payment amount.

Please can you tell me should I writer to the council / baliffs can you suggest what I put please

I was trying to pay and the council did not say to pay any extra amounts for arrears each month.

When you look at the council payment statements the arrears amount is actually decreasing as payments are made this confuses me?

Thank you

goods he wrote where

1 x flat screen tv 1 x dvd player 1 x tv stand (i dont have one!) 1 x tumble dryer ( told him got one its broke!) coffee table ( not got one) wall mirror ( got more than one)

2 notices one for balance £164.07 levey and fees £53 + £11 and for other fees £22.50

other £650.44 levy/fees £43. plus £11 and for other other fees £2.50

on demand notice issued 28/11/12 outstanding arrears for council tax £1484.51 total including this years £2174.51

the demand notice issued before that on 8/10/12 arrears £1714.51 total due 2404.51

The court order the payment in a CCJ

A magistrates court just issues liaibility orders on behalf of local authorities. The council then should arrange payment with you hence the inclusion of the income and expenditure.

You have been mis-led by the council and they have to take responsibility for doing so. Also if you have been making the payments and the debt is decreasing i do not see their reasons for sending this account to the bailiffs.

I would make a full complaint to the council stating the above. Also as mentioned in another post the levy is unlawful as he has done it from outside your house. He has to physically enter your property to make walking possession.

He knows full well this procedure is not lawful so then you have grounds for a complaint against him. In the meantime just dont let them in!

IVA Entry Removed

Nationwide Default Removed

Nationwide Joint Account Default Removed

Natwest Default Removed

Blackhorse Car Finance Court Claim - Won

goods he wrote where

1 x flat screen tv 1 x dvd player 1 x tv stand (i dont have one!) 1 x tumble dryer ( told him got one its broke!) coffee table ( not got one) wall mirror ( got more than one)

2 notices one for balance £164.07 levey and fees £53 + £11 and for other fees £22.50

other £650.44 levy/fees £43. plus £11 and for other other fees £2.50

on demand notice issued 28/11/12 outstanding arrears for council tax £1484.51 total including this years £2174.51

the demand notice issued before that on 8/10/12 arrears £1714.51 total due 2404.51

Bailiffs have done this levy for a financial gain to the bailiffs

sounds like bailiff charging multiple fees on the one visit

There levy should cover the debt should you not pay i would say you can challenge the levy as invalid

By having arrangements to pay the bailiffs and a levy they have(needs challenging)

The bailiffs are in a position to charge a van attendance fee they can do this if you default on a payment or a day late this will attract a fee of £180 upwards

You need to make a formal complaint to the council about there agents unlawful actions for a financial gain copy in local MP and Councillors

in the mean time you will be better off paying the council direct online using correct reference number

• Confused 1

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

The CEO of wrexham council is Dr Helen Paterson address your formal complaint to her

if you get no joy ask to make an appointment to discuss it and i Will go with you i live in wrexham

Now that is a golden offer annabelle, Wrexham council had better watch out

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Hi Hallowitch,

Had letter off council. saying reallocated arrears off bailiff sending new joint demand for arrears and this years council tax. No apology still blame me for cancelling DD, although payments made using card instead?. But a result, thank you so much for your help. and the offer of assistance I appreciate it cheers - annabelle

:-)