EJK

Benefit Sanctions brought forward after work contact finished?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2506 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi All

A friend of mine (well my ex-husband actually), was who was on JSA was sanctioned awhile ago for failure to turn up for an appointment, apparently he was sick and couldn't attend and although he phoned them he was still sanctioned. A week or later he found a job on a building site that lasted a month. After the contract finished he went back to the job centre to sign back on and found that the sanction still applied until he met the criteria, which was to attend four appointments at the work program centre. Then his advisor found him another job which was to last until April, however after just one and a half weeks he was let go as the site they sent him to had their own ground workers that had finished another contract early and were brought back to the site where my friend was working and because he was a contract worker they let him go. He went back to the JC to sign on only to find that he is still on a the original sanction! He also told me that the four appointments would drag out until February which i think is a bit unrealistic, he also says that he can't claim hardship payment because as he is on a sanction he isn't technically on JSA. Is this possible can they carry on a sanction and leave him with no income whatsoever? Or do you think that something more is going on?

Thanks

It depends what the sanction was originally for, if it was a work program sanction then it could have been a 6 month sanction which would the remain on the record for entire duration. e.g sanctioned for 01/10/12 to 31/03/13 then the saqnction is in place until 31/03/13 no matter how many times he signs on and off.

If your ex husband then complies with the work program and he is found to meet the conditionality of the work program they can apply for a reconsideration based on the fact that he is now complying with attendance.

If the sanction was imposed prior to 22nd october 2012 then he would not be entitled to payment of hardship for the duarion of the sanction so that is correct.

• Confused 1

Hi flumps1976

Thanks for the response. It was a work program sanction that was imposed before the 22nd october which was at that time meant to be a four week sanction. It was after the 22nd they got harsher not before, please be aware that i am on JSA too, however i am currently studying a level 3 Diploma in IT and also applying to attend a teacher training course to become an adult education tutor. I'm telling you to let you know that i dont make excuses for him ( i cant stand him for the most part) but he is a good person trying to got on. He has abided by their rules since then and it was them that sent him for the last job which he did, so it wasn't his fault if he was sent away. I don't understand how he can be expected to live on nothing, he is single and lives alone. He has no other source of income either, how can they justify their actions. With the big winter freeze coming in he will need at least enough for the very menial resources i.e electric gas and food.

If this is way it's going to be, now then the government are going to be responsible for a lot of very good people hitting rock bottom, and even a lot of very sick people due to lack of food and warmth, maybe even the deaths of the weak....i know this isnt your fault, but i worry as to why no-one seems concerned about these impending and very scary outcomes of a system gone cruel.

Lots of people are very concerned, EJK. The question is, what can be done about it?

• Confused 1

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

EJK I'm sorry I don't really understand then.

Some of the sanctions have increased since the 22nd October and some have reduced.

Work Program is one of the cases were it could be either. Prior to the 22nd October it could have been a sanction 2, 4, 13 or 26 weeks (if memory serves me correctly but happy to be corrected) depending how many failure to attends he had, now fail to attends are 4 weeks then 13 weeks.

If he was sanctioned rior to the 22nd October and the sanction is sill running ten as I originally posted he will not be entitled to hardship payments and would not receive any financial help from JCP or social fund.

If the sanction is work program related and after 22nd October then hardship applications can now be made and considered, they will be paid if the customer satisfies the conditions for receiving hardship.

If it was one sanction of 4 weeks then the sanction will only be there for the 4 week period in total.

Don't forget that work program adviser only send the referrals for every case regardless of the reasons for failing to attend, they do not understand the implications of the DMA referral they don't actually understand or care about the outcome.