invoice from Fedex after purchase from Amazon

BRACKERS
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4131 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently purchased a Laptop from Amazon UK I paid £899.99 for the laptop plus £50.94 postage and packing.I then received an invoice from Fedex for £125.71 which I have not paid and I am now threatened with proccedings.My contract was with Amazon at a total price of £950.93.

Tthe purchase was from Amazon.co.uk However, it was despatched from the U.S.A.When I checked out during the payment for the laptop plus postage and packing there was no indication of additional charges.

Before you do anything, double check that the Fedex invoice references the correct delivery details, the correct item and prices etc. If something is out of place it's likely a fraudulent attempt (by a fraudster, not Fedex) to get you to pay unnecessary fees. If you're still uncertain you may wish to verify it with Fedex direct; if you do contact them, go via their homepage (http://www.fedex.com/gb/ukservices/), not the details on the letter/email which could be fake.

Assuming the notice is genuine, the fees demanded are most likely import duty/VAT. My best guess is that you used the Amazon UK Marketplace, but contracted with a US based seller. Amazon UK took your money as a payment processor, not supplier, with the laptop actually being supplied by the US merchant, which is why import duty/VAT is applicable. Check your receipt to see if this seems correct or if there's any mention of a third party (person or company).

Unfortunately, if you are the importer, you are legally obliged to pay any import/VAT due and will have most likely agreed to this in the terms of the sale and/or agreed to reimburse Fedex when the delivery was signed for.

I completely agree that Amazon and/or the actual seller should have advised you of these additional costs before the sale. If they didn't their customer service is atrocious, but probably not atrocious enough to be illegal.

It's definitely worthwhile contacting Amazon and the seller with a complaint and you should be able to contact the seller for a refund (likely excluding postage) if it's soon enough (usually within 7 business days). You may also be able to negotiate a contribution towards the import duty/VAT fees from the seller as you'll both have to weigh up the disadvantages and costs involved of returning the laptop.

Good luck.

Edited by Fox Morris

This is another little trick from Amazon UK. When you order a product from outside the EU, you'd have to pay customs charges, but there's no indication on the Amazon website

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"