Any advice on what I can do to release early.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am in a similar position to you and also wanted some advice. I live in student accommodation and have done for the last 15months; however 2 months ago I was hit by a car as I was walking to work and after being in hospital I am now unable to walk without the assistance of a wheelchair or for short distances crutches. This has meant I have had to move back home to my dad’s house where he is caring for me. I want to leave my tenancy agreement early as I cannot live by myself and have been told by the hospital it will be at least 3 months before I will be able to start to walk again. My flat is on the 2nd floor and I cannot use steps, the manager has offered me a ground floor flat but this is still impractical for me as I cannot do even the simplest of tasks for example cooking, cleaning or washing! I struggle to get in the bath at home and the accommodation does not have bath facilities. I have got a doctor’s note saying that I am not fit to live by myself but the managers are still refusing to release me from the agreement. I contacted head office but they say it is down to the individual managers at each branch to make a final decision. Any advice on what I can do to release early would be great! As I have also has to leave me job as a result of my injury so money is tight.

I can only sympathise.

Are you still a student. If so, can your Union help. In my day they would have sent round a contingent of students to occupy the manager's office till he saw sense.

Alternatively, are there options to get financial assistance either from the car driver's insurance company or disability benefits. Just ideas, I'm afraid.

Horrible situation, and I hope you're on the mend soon. I'm sure you can do without the additional worry at the minute.

Is the accommodation that you're talking about the Halls of Residence type? If it is, and the University are advertising it on their website or promotional material, it might be worth talking to the management of the actual college/university as well as the Student's Union.

Even if you're no longer a student, I would still talk to the Student Union and see if they'd be prepared to help. This should be of interest to them as it could directly affect their members in the future.

• Confused 1

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

New thread started.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

pink, when did current AST commence and for what fixed term?

Is it for room-only with communal facilities or joint T in house?

On the face of it, you are liable until you can serve valid NTQ or negotiate early surrender with LL.

Have you contacted the LL direct (not building manager), informed him of your predicament and offered early surrender?

Thank you for your response. Yeah the union is a good idea actually, didnt think of this. Yes I am still a student and for this reason I dont qualify for any benefits. The police are dealing with the incident at the moment and it may take along time before any legal justice is complete.

Mariner makes a really good point there actually pink - have you approached the landlord directly? could be worth a shot prior to getting the union involved.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Laughing girl - Yes I have done this and explained the situation, there response is that it is not their fault that this has happed and due to the recession they are not willing to release me early at this time unless I find someone else to take up by contract, I cannot find anyone at this time of year who is willing to do this.