Jump to content


Social Care Advice

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2510 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Hope somebody can help.


My mother is currently stressed to bits and im trying to get some advice.


My grandma is 80 and is struggling with memory and mobility etc my mother is struggling to cope as we done live close to her and she works full time. The problem is to do with money.


When my grandad died, he left various amounts of money and they were left to my nanna. She has been struggling memory wise for a while now and until recently my mother hadnt realised that in one of her savings accounts there is a substantial amount of money approx 25000. She is in reciept of beneifits as my gran hadnt realised or declared this money.


My mother wants to get social care but is worried about what would happen to my grans savings is she declared it now or what to do


hope this makes sense

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly, your Mum need to apply for lasting power of attorney if possible which means she is legally entitled to take over your grandma's financial affairs. At the time she takes them over she should contact the DWP and LA etc. to inform them that she has discovered that she realises her mother has been claiming a benefit she may not be entitled to due to confusion and memory problems.


Hopefully then they will calculate any overpayment and that can be paid out of the money your grandma is holding. The money your grandma has been left is there to look after her and for her living expenses so it is right that it is used for her living costs and care. We are so fortunate in this country that when she can no longer afford to pay for her own needs and costs, the state will take over and provide what she needs.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...