CarolineT

My friends car was repossesed this morning

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2506 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Good AFternoon

can anyone give me some advice

my friend has a car shes being paying for for 16 months she has recently split from her husband and he failed to make 3 car payments to which she did not know,

she has moved address recently after leaving her husband, she did tax the car and change the address on her V5

a letter was sent to her old address which her soon to be ex husband did not tell her about, this morning her car was repossessed for 482.00, if she wants the car back she must pay this plus 246.00 for the repossession man plus a further 144.00 she does not have this kind of money also she uses her car for work, she has not been to work today

the repossession man told her he had been to the house she now lives in once before, she asked why he didnt leave a note or something to inform her, he said he couldnt because they traced through the car through DVLA and it would be illegal to write to her using the details they got from DVLA

what can she do, to reduce the amount she has to pay, and get her car back

Not a lot unfortunately. It's not her car it's the finance company's until paid for and as it hasn't been paid for the company are well within their right to claim the car back. All I can advise is to talk with the finance company and see if they are willing to negotiate though I doubt they will be.

Is the finance in your friend's name or her husband's? Why did she not take responsibility for paying for the car if she needed it and was the principle user of it?

what can she do, to reduce the amount she has to pay, and get her car back

She should consider herself lucky that she has the option to get the car back, albeit by paying the arrears. I think there is little or no chance of reducing the amount she will have to pay AND getting it back. She has already shown herself as a poor risk by going into arrears so why would they let her stay in arrears and give the car back?

Finance companies usually only repossess as a last resort so I assume your friend has already had opportunities to discuss her problems with them and has failed to do so.

I wish her good luck.

Love your enemies - it drives them crazy.

Thanks to Bobby Thompson (1911-1988) for the user name:"Let them knock, the paint lasts longer than the skin".

nec temere nec timide

So far, all done free for friends:

Cabot - F&F reduced debt by £7700 (70%)

NatWest - PPI claim - £1,800

NatWest - PPI claim - £6,200

NatWest - PPI claim - £3,000

Co-op Bank - PPI claim - £5,200

Halifax - PPI claim - £2,800

NatWest - debt identified as statute barred - £1,900

NatWest - debt identified as statute barred - £2,700

NatWest - loan identified as unenforceable - £13,400