failure to stop/report

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4119 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

first post on this forum!

I tapped a car lightly recently while reversing (didn't see it, wasn't there when got in my car, plus whoever owns it decided to dump it on double yellows on narrow street). I didn't think much of it, was really slight, so didn't bother to check for any damage, as didn't expect any.

Last week my insurance company phoned saying they had received some complaint about me being involved in a collision. As they used the word collision it didn't occur to me that this was related and besides I had totally forgotten about it anyway. I told the insurer that I didn't have a clue, they phoned back same day saying to forget about it, they were getting 'the details removed'.

Now a few days later, i get one of those NIP things from the fuzz, with the form to declare who was driving at such time and place, which clearly referred to date and place of the knock, and I have since worked out that he term collision means pretty much anything, including prangs in car parks.

Clearly I must have done some damage (cant imagine how!) and/or been witnessed (dont think there is cctv anywhere there, but cant say I have checked)

So I realise I must send in form declaring I was driver, however not to sure what happens after that.

If I get a summons I would be tempted to plead guilty by post (and send a soppy mitigation letter about how contrite I feel), but I'm not too sure how likely the police are to take it further so it may never get to that. How do i find out what the other party has said etc? E.g. they may be using the opportunity to fix existing, and more serious damage.

Also i feel I should phone up my insurance company and ask them what the heck's going on, as they told me to forget about it and didn't discuss the details of any complaint with me, but is it wise for me to do so, judging I told them I didnt have a clue what they were on about when they phoned, which was true?

Also I know that most insurers insist on accidents being reported to the police, and that the police by default ask to ID driver, and by default serve an NIP when crimes like failure to stop are alleged. So in fact this could just be the word of the owner, as they cant have gone far tho I saw no one in the street at the time. I would actually be OK with paying for repair if I have done any damage, but it seems that I don't even have that option. Plus seems to me that any damage issue is separate to any failure to stop/report complaint anyway

so, any tips/experiences/advice you could give me?

thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Most likely you backed into some old piece of chod that needs £££££'s of bodywork doing. Owner saw the "Contact" (Not collision) and saw pound signs. More than likely a compo hunter that'll say there were 19 innocent blind children in the car at the time suffering from whiplash too. Defend your position and state that the contact was so minor that you did not think it be required to inconvenience the police, insurance, driver and workshops for contact that was so minor it could not have possibly done any damage. Ask for photos and take some of your own car in case the TP decides that the entire rear end of their motor needs replacing as you reversed into it doing the national speed limit.

Yukiko.

Simple really police must prove beyond reasonable doubt that you were even aware that you had damaged vehicle. You argue based on length of time taken to receive nip from date of incident and can even deny anything happened and counter claim other party is making a false declaration as no such incident occurred it is not upon you to prove your innocence but the police to prove your guilt so ask what evidence they have and ask to view which you are entitled to do.