Jump to content

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2512 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

I am a manager of a small sweet shop and have been there for over a year. When i took the position it was agreed that I would work 4 days per week. my employers are now saying that cause i cant work anymore days due to my children, I am being demoted to shop assistant with a salary decrease. can they do this and without any notice or warning?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully you have a contract of employment, but even if not I would say no.


Unless demotion is an available sanction agreed to in the contract of employment then the employer cannot demote you or reduce your salary. This would be both a breach of contract and the wage reduction potentially an Unlawful Deduction from wages. There may also be a sex discrimination angle to this in terms of you being treated detrimentally due to your gender (and having children to look after).


I strongly suggest that you get a grievance in on those grounds as soon as possible - they would be advised to consider it carefully as defending this at a Tribunal could be extremely costly!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.






If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites



I have to agree with Sidewinder on this


This link to ACAS Website may be of some use: www.acas.org.uk/

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...