Very worried over tax credit overpayment

MC1975
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3984 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, No legal action as I agreed to repay - I have to pay back £12,000+ at a monthly rate over the next 10 years.

I was asked if I had taken any steps to raise the money to repay in a lump sum but I can't get credit/loans/remortgage due to my current debts - the Helpline & 'Overpayment' staff seem much more approachable than the Compliance team!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It took nearly 3 weeks for me to hear from them after I had agreed to repay - didn't eat or sleep much during that time, not helped by the fact the Compliance guy kept implying they were gathering evidence to prosecute me every time I called for an update.

I'm sure it will be fine - you made a genuine mistake & realise that you will need to repay some money.

Can't speak as a company owner as I'm an employee on PAYE but did claim tax credits when I was working part time.

I ended up with an overpayment of when I successfully applied for a full time role and told them, this was 800 quid, fortunately I had some money spare so just paid it but they seemed happy enough to agree a repayment term.

As has been said, provide all documents you are asked for and you'll be fine.

Well, been to CAB this morning and nothing more to report. Fella was helpful & knowledgable but basically said what everyone else has said. Can't really do much until we hear from HMRC. Lost 7lbs this week so there is definately a positive to all of this!!! He doesn't seem to think there will be a prosecution, but you just never know. Trying to stay as positive as possible for now.

• 1 month later...

I just noticed on my tax credit award that for year 2011/12 is wrong under by about 5,000 and still have childcare on fir 2012/13 there that shouldn't be should i call and let them know now? Thanks I'm panicking and not sleeping nor eating x

I'd ring and notify them before they write to you, less of an over payment x

Thank you it's worrying me sick it's not out of dishonesty I've never really dealt with financial things before and I kinda just thought the hmrc would have my salary and adjust it x

Its not your income tho, its childcare costs. Don't be frightened, the sooner you pluck up the courage to ring them, the sooner you'll get some peace of mind. I'd say write to them, but you'll probably still worry yourself sick until you get a response. HMRC are all about recovery Dawnie xx

scotgal 

Its not your income tho, its childcare costs. Don't be frightened, the sooner you pluck up the courage to ring them, the sooner you'll get some peace of mind. I'd say write to them, but you'll probably still worry yourself sick until you get a response. HMRC are all about recovery Dawnie xx

Thanks scotgal I'm gonna call on Monday. Do'u definitely think I'm better off calling them before they get in touch with me? You're right tho I would just sit about and worry until I heard from them I rely so much on my child tax I don't want to jeopardise them thru negligence thanks again xx

Yes honestly I do, it won't be as bad as you think but you owe it to yourself and your family to get some peace of mind. Dont go into a big spiel - say hi I just looked at my award and I notice im still getting childcare, it shouldnt be on. Thats it. They will take the change over the phone. Remove the childcare and issue you a new award and probably later on an overpayment letter. They might offset it against future awards. Good luck - you'll feel so much better xx

scotgal 

Yes honestly I do, it won't be as bad as you think but you owe it to yourself and your family to get some peace of mind. Dont go into a big spiel - say hi I just looked at my award and I notice im still getting childcare, it shouldnt be on. Thats it. They will take the change over the phone. Remove the childcare and issue you a new award and probably later on an overpayment letter. They might offset it against future awards. Good luck - you'll feel so much better xx

Thanks scotgal I hope so I've not been well today so have to call tomorrow now but definitely will its just so frightening but I read that it's best to sort this out before the DWP take over in 2013 as they push for prosecution. I'll never find another job if that's the case do'u think they'll investigate previous years to now? X

You're not being investigated. You're ringing up to report an error. Claiming childcare costs when there are none is different from under estimating your income. They are spot checking claims for accuracy re child care and I think you should tell them before they contact you. Previous years? How long have the child care costs erroneously paid? x

scotgal 

You're not being investigated. You're ringing up to report an error. Claiming childcare costs when there are none is different from under estimating your income. They are spot checking claims for accuracy re child care and I think you should tell them before they contact you. Previous years? How long have the child care costs erroneously paid? x

They were finished aug 2011 and still on there til may 2012 I was working 2 jobs and have also under estimated my income as I didn't receive a p60 from either jobs I'm actually so terrified I'm considering suicide I'm worried I'll lose my home and my daughter due to my total negligence x

Look Dawnie. Dont upset yourself, please. First thing is to ring up and get the childcare costs removed. That will be one thing off your mind. It will more than likely generate an overpayment. You can make arrangements to pay. Then come renewal time tell them your actual income for last year. It's never as bad as you think. HMRC, as I said want to recover and pay claims at the correct rate. You won't lose your daughter or your home, but if you don't bite the bullet and make those first tentative steps to putting things right, you'll have no peace of mind x

There are 10's of thousands of people in the exact same position x

scotgal 

i know how you feel im so scared xxcx

Thanks scotgal I'll keep you updated when I've sorted everything out. Foolmum it's so terrifying I haven't eaten or slept for weeks I don't live the life of Riley I scrape by and the loss of what I was getting could've ended with my daughter and I being homeless which we're faced with just now anyway. I'm not able to interact with people and I'm in the process of being made bankrupt right now life doesn't feel worth living. I hope everything works out for you x

Thanks scotgal I'll keep you updated when I've sorted everything out. Foolmum it's so terrifying I haven't eaten or slept for weeks I don't live the life of Riley I scrape by and the loss of what I was getting could've ended with my daughter and I being homeless which we're faced with

just now anyway. I'm not able to interact with people and I'm in the process of being made bankrupt right now life doesn't feel worth living. I hope everything works out for you x

i know honey im scared .. havent eaten or slept my daughter like you is my main concern.. not being there for her but like scotsgirl68 said they want their money back.....im hear if you just want to have a wobble just keep yr chin up. im in work but will answer when i can xxx

We've all made mistakes. Just don't offer to repay more than you can afford - it is better to make an affordable smaller repayment for longer than fail to pay the larger repayment at some point, which would mean further diffciulties.

Given your stated income, £1000 a month

seems excessive to offer - £100 a month plus

whatever tax credits you get, would seem

adequate.

miss type i mean 100 sorry. i hope it gets sorted .. i am sorry and ashamed.xxx

I'm glad you two have found each other but don't be letting your minds run away with u x

Good luck girlies - xxxxxx

thanks scotgal68. i know we both r predicting the worse....but what can we do bu offer to paybackxxxx