Tina0611

independent school pupil withdrawl demand for fees

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2506 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I signed a contract in September for my daughter to start at a new school as we are moving. The verbal agreement with my ex husband was that he would pay half the fees. He has now said he will not pay half the fees and I can no longer afford for my daughter to go to the school. I have therefore withdrawn her from the school in the October (33 days after signing the contract). I am now being asked for a term's fees as I did not give a full terms notice of withdrawl.

There was no way I could give a whole term's notice as I was signing within a term of her going to the school. The contract says the reason for this charging of a term's fees is the financial loss the school will have suffered for another pupil being able to take this place, but seeming as she was strting in Jan taking a spare place they are not suffering any loss. I am already losing my deposit I paid. Is there any way around this contract? Parents have advised that is was not possible to fulfill the notice so the contract should not stand, and also I withdrew so quickly that they would have not lost out financially but I am concerned I am stuck with this fee htat \i cannot pay.

They are now saying they will be charging me interest on top of this. I have written to the headmistress of hte senior school, the headmaster of the prep school (she was going into year 6) and the bursar explaining my situation, but have had no written response, just a curt phone call from the bursar's secretary who has told me the fees are overdue and I will now be paying interest. Can anyone help?

Edited by Conniff

Keep in mind that claims are for losses. If your little girls not at school then it is not costing them anything and they will have to show why the interest is being applied.

Keep in mind that claims are for losses. If your little girls not at school then it is not costing them anything and they will have to show why the interest is being applied.

Thank you for your help

Thread moved to general consumer issues.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Welcome to the Consumer Forums

Free advice and support to to solve your consumer problems.

You will soon discover what a friendly place this is and get lots of hints about standing up to consumer bullies or dealing with other consumer rights.

Which guide to the Sale Of Goods Act

New advice guide explains credit card rights

Help the CAG!!

Make a donation

ARE YOU A VICTIM OF COWBOY BUILDERS?

Has your RBS account been transferred to Santander?

Forum rules. Please read these before posting

PLEASE CHECK OUT THE CAG LIBRARY!! IT HAS LOADS OF USEFUL STUFF IN THERE. CLICK HERE