Problem with Debt Collection Agencies & Non existent Debts

tsp003
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4152 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me sort what seems like a strange problem i've been having with debt collection agencies.

In 2006 i lost my job and made a claim on my credit card PPI to cover the payments. This all eventually went through and a year later, still unemployed (still am today!) I received a letter saying under the terms of the insurance as I was still not working, the debt was repaid and the balance was zero. Hurrah I thought, but once or twice a year since then i'd get debt collector letters demanding the balance, as it was before I took out the insurance claim. Anyway I simply wrote back with a copy of the insurance letter and they seemed to go away.

That was until about a year and a half ago, i was suddenly getting letters from LloydsTSB who I banked with and had the credit card with, demanding payments and adding charges for my credit card to my current account, this took me over my overdraft and sent my charges sky high, I was suddenly locked out of my internet banking and when I went into branch, to try and put some money in to prevent my unauthorised overdraft spiralling out of control, was told my account had been closed and I would just have to go home and phone customer services - I was fuming to say the least. This was followed by a mad flurry of debt collection calls and letters, so I made a complaint to the Financial Obmbudsman.

The findings were that Lloyds had failed to write off the debt on my card when it was settled and that any charges relating to my current account were unfair and my account was to be reinstated immediately. (I haven't tried using it - moved to another bank and I haven't even tried using my credit card since I lost my job)

All fine and quiet for about a year, which brings us to this summer when it all started again and currently I have eight or nine different debt collection agencies after payments for both my credit card and my current account debt via letter and what seems like every five minutes telephone calls either on my landline or mobile. It's driving me insane, I've tried writing, sent copies of the insurance and ombudsman reports and yet they keep on. I've supplied a copy of my credit report where it says 'settled' in 2007. I've told them they are mistaken, I've asked them to supply me with proof of a debt. They're just not interested. What can I do to put an end to it all once and for all?

Any advice anyone can give me would be most appreciated. At first it was quite laughable at how they could make such a huge error, but now its feeling like a huge weight, as I don't know whats going on behind the scenes I'm worried i'm going to have to deal with doorstep agents or CCJ's (a friend told me they can CCJ you without you even knowing!). I just need it all to stop now.

Sorry for rambling on, but it's a fairly odd predicament don't you think?

Hi welcome to CAG, which DCA is chasing this now?

The circumstance for judgement to be made wthout your knowledge are if you fail to respond to the claim or have moved and not informed creditors of a new address, etc.

Check your credit files for up to date info.

THEN a SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS UNDER THE DATA PROTECTION ACT 1998 TO GET ALL THE DATA LLOYDS HOLD ON THE ACCOUNT, THE SAR HAS £10 FEE THE CREDITOR HAS 40 DAYS TO COMPLY,USE THE TEMPLATE FROM THE CAG LIBRARY, ADDRESS IT TO THE DATA CONTROLLER AT LTSB

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I think you will have to raise a complaint with Trading Standards if they are taking no notice of you.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/extra/contact.cfm?frmAlias=/contact/

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It's lloyds you need to complain to and send the sar to then you will have the info to sort this out.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

The circumstance for judgement to be made wthout your knowledge are if you fail to respond to the claim or have moved and not informed creditors of a new address, etc.

Thank you thats reassurring!

This debt is currently being chased by Robinson Way/Apex/Mackenzie Hall/Credit Security Services/Credit Collections/Credit UK/DC Credit Management. I'm getting calls alternate days from each of these and have been since June. Although I think they are treating the current account and the credit card as two seperate debts/accounts.

OK, are these DCAs stating if they are collecting on ''behalf of a client''?

This scenario breaches OFT GUIDANCE,.

So which account do they appear to be chasing?

That link to trading standards is not for consumers. You would need to go through CAB

|As the link explains westfield

So which account do they appear to be chasing?

In all honesty, they seem to all be chasing both accounts I'll get one referring to the credit card account and few days letter one referencing the bank account.

The letters generally say that they've been 'authorised to recover the full amount'. Although I did get a strange letter from Robinson way today with "SECURITY TELEMESSAGE" stamped all over it. Not sure what they were trying to achieve with that tactic, as it just looks a bit naff to me :)

Ok bear with me and i will draft a letter you can send to all of them, i may be slow dong this as i have had surgery on my rhand but will do it by midday tomorrow.

I am sorry Brigadier, seems like confusion, Unglebulgaria said to complain to trading standards, I pointed out that you couldn't so not sure the point of the link.

Have you got your glasses on, my name is Smithy70 not westfield

In all honesty, they seem to all be chasing both accounts I'll get one referring to the credit card account and few days letter one referencing the bank account.

The letters generally say that they've been 'authorised to recover the full amount'. Although I did get a strange letter from Robinson way today with "SECURITY TELEMESSAGE" stamped all over it. Not sure what they were trying to achieve with that tactic, as it just looks a bit naff to me :)

Robinson Way are naff, but most DCA's are.

Lloyds are the ones to complain to, but unless you write to their Head Office, you might have a struggle on your hands. Hopefully if you phone CAB, they will be able to get TS's to get the DCA's off your back, so they return the accounts to Lloyds.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

i am sorry brigadier, seems like confusion, unglebulgaria said to complain to trading standards, i pointed out that you couldn't so not sure the point of the link.

Have you got your glasses on, my name is smithy70 not westfield

seeing fine thanks

Ok bear with me and i will draft a letter you can send to all of them, i may be slow dong this as i have had surgery on my rhand but will do it by midday tomorrow.
Thank you, very kind of you and much appreciated.

In the meantime, I will mull over all of the suggestions and links and big thanks to all who have taken the time to respond. What a great forum! Its nice to know your not alone against all the loonies out there :)

This is the letter to send them regarding their criminal offence of harassment http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?493-Harassment-by-telephone-response-letter

Keep a diary of events, esp concerning this harassment via phone, when they ring laugh and hang up, if they persist simply say "everything in writing" then laugh and hang up.

Lodge a formal complaint to Ofcom regarding the misuse of the communications network http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/

Have you looked at your credit files to see what names of companies are on their?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

FOTL stance isn't helpful in this particular case, nor in most cases on CAG.

Whilst I fully understand the FOTL status, and implement it in my day to day life, it is too much for some to grasp hence why there are plenty of other sites out there that deal direct with that very subject.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi I see Bazooka Boo has linked some letters for you, please come back to me if you need any thing more.

FOTL stance isn't helpful in this particular case, nor in most cases on CAG.

Whilst I fully understand the FOTL status, and implement it in my day to day life, it is too much for some to grasp hence why there are plenty of other sites out there that deal direct with that very subject.

Are you saying we are all too thick? lol

I thought it had all been debunked anyway

Are you saying we are all too thick? lol

I thought it had all been debunked anyway

God NO!!

FOTL is extremely relevant, just not in this instance, OP has already established 'joinder' therefore to implement FOTL status is going to prove difficult.

But this convo is for FOTL websites, remember KISS?? (Lets just keep it simple :thumb:)