jambates

Oh god, ive been overpaid.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2512 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Oh my god, Ive been overpaid in Local Housing Allowance by 2 months.

This totals to just under £400. I completely forgot to tell them that I moved out of the property.

Because of the stress I've been under since that date, with my mum having cancer treatment etc.

It has just completely slipped my mind to tell them. Oh god, am I going to jail?

I'll repay it all. I'm 22 and I don't even have a criminal record, never been arrested...

Oh god. I could cry right now. Its a joint claim, but Im the one that deals with all the paperwork so my partner probably just assumed that I had cancelled it because he hasnt mentioned it.

From what you say, there is no doubt that you didn't tell the council about a change in your circumstances which led to an overpayment of benefit. What you need to do is make an offer to repay the debt at an amount you can afford on a weekly or monthly basis. Make the effort to go to the council as soon as you can. All the best.

You won't go to jail. It's not as if you've been claiming for years when you shouldn't have been.

From reading this forum, they're unlikely to prosecute unless it's over £2000

Just spoke to my partner, he thought I cancelled it. I feel so stupid.

I don't mind paying it back at all, I just don't wanna go to jail. So hopefully as you say they wont prosecute.

I highly doubt they will prosecute over this debt - even if they do, it will go in your favour if you meet it head-on with an immediate offer of repayment.

Just spoke to my partner, he thought I cancelled it. I feel so stupid.

I don't mind paying it back at all, I just don't wanna go to jail. So hopefully as you say they wont prosecute.

As said, your claim was not fraudulent from the outset nor have you committed any other intentional fraud, the amount is small, and you can contact them to explain the situation and make a repayment offer. It won't be a fun phone call, but I'd be surprised if they prosecuted (it would cost them more than £400 to do so) and I'd be absolutely astonished if you went to jail.

Take a deep breath, calm down, and speak to them.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.