Road Traffic Act?...drivers MUST use dipped headlights in poor weather conditions

scaniaman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4159 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It is my understanding that there is a law, part of RTA, which states that drivers MUST drive on dipped headlights in poor weather conditions. I have just been advised that this rule is only when visibility is less than 1/4 mile.

Can anyone quote which section of rta this comes under?

The relevant law is The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 Regulation 24(1)(a)(ii). It forbids any moving vehicle being used without lights "in seriously reduced visibility between sunrise and sunset".

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/24/made

The Highway Code further explains that this is generally when visibility is reduced to 100m (328 feet) or less.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-adverse-weather-conditions-226-to-237

All modern cars are now fitted with daytime running lights as a safety feature.

But they are only at the front. Tail lights only come on when side/tail is switched on. Personally, I don't like daytime running lights. Good drivers don't need them.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

And vans :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

But they are only at the front. Tail lights only come on when side/tail is switched on. Personally, I don't like daytime running lights. Good drivers don't need them.

My view it's not for good drives it's for the idiot coming the other way.

dpick

The point i'm trying to make is that a good driver will know when to use his dipped headlights so he doesn't need day time running lights. DRL's have their drawbacks... for example when a car fitted with them travels over a hump in the road, some of them are that bright that they can dazzle on-coming drivers. In bright, sunny conditions they are completely unnecessary in my opinion.

But in any event, it is an offence to drive in poor visibility without using dipped (or normal low beam) headlights.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Those day running lights are a pain in the butt. Especially when not correctly adjusted. Blinding the heck out of you. Any driver maintaining good observations, should not be needing extra help from other drivers in the form of these awful lights.

If anybody seriously, has problems spotting other cars in good visibility conditions, then they seriously need to question whether there eyesight needs to be checked, or need to improve their observational skills.

I had collected a new van at work and could not get the lights to turn off, took it to our garage and was told they are always on :|

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

The Volvo mentality, known about in the 70's but not understood to be a medical condition until a few years ago.

Apparently these lights when installed, gives the driver the the superhuman power to be totally devoid of blame, by deft use of the oneliner 'Sorry mate, I didn't see you'

at the scene of any RTA.

The downside of these lights , especially on smaller vehicles including motorcycles, is the premature demise of the battery and/or charging circuit, and is directly responsible for the increased number callouts by the main vehicle emergency services usually on cold mornings around this time of year..

Thanks for all replies, but there is gross ignorance amongst drivers as to whether they use side lights or dipped head.

Now, a very controversial subject, and one you can all do your own checks on ------lady drivers!!!! (my flight to south america already booked. )

For some time i had the idea that burds did not put lights on when they should, so one day in p-s---g rain i stopped in a lay by on our local dual carriageway to carry out my own little survey.

Results after 1/2hour :- 69% unlit vehicles driven by burds. 29% unlit vehicles driven by blokes (mostly white vans) 2% unlit vehicles driven by HGV drivers, who should have known better.

What will your checks reveal????

At the end of the day, it is vitally important to BE SEEN as well as seeing don't you think.

Thanks for all replies, but there is gross ignorance amongst drivers as to whether they use side lights or dipped head.

Now, a very controversial subject, and one you can all do your own checks on ------lady drivers!!!! (my flight to south america already booked. )

For some time i had the idea that burds did not put lights on when they should, so one day in p-s---g rain i stopped in a lay by on our local dual carriageway to carry out my own little survey.

Results after 1/2hour :- 69% unlit vehicles driven by burds. 29% unlit vehicles driven by blokes (mostly white vans) 2% unlit vehicles driven by HGV drivers, who should have known better.

What will your checks reveal????

At the end of the day, it is vitally important to BE SEEN as well as seeing don't you think.

100% with you on this but how often do we see or hear the police ever taking any action on this?

Please Note

Well thank heavens I'm a bird who has a teeny bit of intelligence and never fails to use lights according to conditions. If the rain was so heavy as to cause loss of visibility, then without doubt, I'd use dipped lights. Most times I can get away with side lights. My car being pillarbox red is hard to miss, but yes, some coloured cars in poor conditions are harder to see, but I curse the ones who regularly use full beams when the sun is starting to fade, or who forego any lights when the conditions are poorer. I see far too many drivers each day that are using the incorrect level of lighting according to the conditions.

The incorrect use of lights is most certainly not a gender issue though. I have lost count of the number of guys I have passed driving at night with no lights on at all.

I see absolutely no point whatsoever to driving in good conditions with good visibility with sidelights on. It serves absolutely no positive purpose but to dazzle. Ain't no fun when you have an Audi or a BMW tailgating with it's damn lights blinding you everytime you look in your rear view mirror.

And don't get me started on the guys who think it's cool to drive during the day and night, with all their fog lights a glowing, lit up like a Christmas tree. Or the ones at night who sit with their foot on the brake, blinding the person behind, instead of having a bit of consideration and use the handbrake when stationary.

Incorrect light use certainly isn't gender specific, not in my own personal experience anyway. Those awful xenon lights used during the day have caused me to near collide with parked cars on 3 seperate occasions due to their blinding effects. Whereas on many other occasions, drivers exiting junctions at night with no lights, I have been able to avoid issues with due to good observations.

The incorrect use of lights is most certainly not a gender issue though. I have lost count of the number of guys I have passed driving at night with no lights on at all.

I'll be honest, I see a 50/50 mix of people who see the light from their stupid DRLs and don't remember to turn the headlights on!

The amount of times I see people driving about in the dark of night with a dozen white LED's on the front and nothing on the back bemuses me! As do people who manage to drive with no lights at all - I hate the fact that without the lights on, I can't see my instruments at night... So, why can't everyone else make this association?

Ahh yes, because the fools that produce these vehicles with DRL's fitted also make the instrument panel lighting come on all the time too, with only a small green light to tell you when your lights are actually on.

Absolutely sodding riduculous. We went 100 years with lights being operated the same way, save for the ellipsoid units BMW and Vauxhall started using in the 90's... It's never been an issue until now, where we're told we have to have 20w of light shining from the front of our cars because people are getting slowly more ignorant to the dangers of traffic!

Well last night reminded me that another big issue driving at night is cyclists with no lights. I was pulling out of my street onto a hill when I noticed 3 fast approaching shadows to my right. Had my observations not been up to scratch, the 3 idiot unlit youngsters would of ploughed straight into me as it would of been impossible for them to stop in time. They simply carried on as if nothing had happened but of course I suppose it would of been my fault had I just simply pulled out in front of them.

Please Note

Not just unlit cyclists, what about the pedestrian wearing dark clothes walking along an unlit road. Can scare the bejeezus out of you.

Yes but you don't often get pedestrians coming towards you in the road doing about 20 mph when your'e turning out of a side road.

In my opinion, if you are riding a bike at night without lights, it should be seized by the police (assuming they catch you of course).

Please Note

It certainly would. It`s always the car drivers fault for not being observant enough. In Oxford where I am the number of stupid cyclists with no lights is unbelivable! Thet also cycle on the pavement, cycle the wrong way down the street, don`t stop for red lights or pedestrian crossings.

I must say that i find daytime use of headlights on motorbikes a godsend. These lights give that little bit of extra warning by following high speed bikes.

Ump ha cough---i'm just away to order "Blue" headlamp bulbs for my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!