Parking Ticket - Worth Appealing?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4151 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today, I paid for a 2 hour parking ticket for a Council Car Park.

Unfortunately, I was in a hurry and went and pushed the ticket into the plastic windscreen clip the wrong way around and left the car without noticing it.

When I returned nearly 2 hours later to buy another ticket,

my car had a PCN notice stuck to the windscreen which cited "parking in a car park without clearly displaying a valid ticket....."

This had been issued about half way through my parking time.

I went to the warden's office and he said it might be worth appealing as I clearly had a ticket.

When I got home and re-read the PCN and thought..

..Was the ticket valid?

- YES. Was the ticket clearly on display?

- YES (it was back to front, but it was clearly on display)

Not sure what to do...pay the £25 or appeal?

Personally I would appeal, you paid for a ticket and made an honest mistake. I fail to see why people should be so black & white all the time, pedantic jobs worths.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Personally I would appeal, you paid for a ticket and made an honest mistake. I fail to see why people should be so black & white all the time, pedantic jobs worths.

I don't normally support "jobsworths" and come to think of it I don't think I am now, but......

If the ticket was visible as an item, but the date and time of issue couldn't be seen (if it was backwards), then I don't think the parking attendant was out of order issuing a PCN. An appeal has been suggested by the attendant and I would agree that is the right thing to do at this stage. Now should the appeal be rejected after showing proof of ticket, then the jobsworth argument may come back into it! :-D

I agree the attendant had little option, but I've written an appeal giving the reason for my mistake. It's the only time I've ever put a ticket on the wrong way, but I had genuinely just been to visit my 92 year old Dad, who had suffered a stroke and my mind just wasn't on much else today. I've asked the Council to use their powers of discretion.

can you explain how the traffic warden was supposed to read your ticket and confirm it was a valid ticket as opposed to an invalid one just turned upside down

See my last comment....I agree that he had little option but to issue a ticket. But in these days of being precise about the wording of things, the ticket itself was clearly on display and people have escaped prosecution on technicalities like that. Never mind, I've e-mailed the Council parking section to appeal, in the hope that they will use the discretion they have the power to use in these cases ....and I haven't tried to be funny about the wording, just honest about the circumstances of a genuine mistake.

Well considering they take evidence pictures these days, if he was too thick to be able to read it then he could just turn the image 180 degrees on the camera!

Oh yeah it`s rocket science combined with stupidity!

Rocket science must be involved in the camera can take a photo of the back of a ticket and then somehow display the details off the front, maybe the only person being stupid here......is you?

Rocket science must be involved in the camera can take a photo of the back of a ticket and then somehow display the details off the front, maybe the only person being stupid here......is you?

thats what i was going to say,

the ticket is not showing, its the reverse of the ticket thats visible

i do agree some discretion is warranted but we all know how strapped for cash the councils are at the moment, i dont see that they will let the OP off, but good luck in trying

nothing ventured, nothing gained

I thought it was upside down, not the wrong way round so no need for rudeness...

Unfortunately, I was in a hurry and went and pushed the ticket into the plastic

windscreen clip the wrong way around and left the car without noticing it.

I thought it was upside down, not the wrong way round so no need for rudeness...

Unfortunately, I was in a hurry and went and pushed the ticket into the plastic

windscreen clip the wrong way around and left the car without noticing it.

I think you will find that you started the rudeness by calling the person who issued the ticket a studid selfish idiot!

Because thats what they are in that line of work, just to make more money out of people

that have honestly bought a ticket despite his panic situation, but enough said,

this is Borders thread.

Unless they employ people with X ray vision how do they know the ticket is a) for that location, b) for that day, c) not expired?

I would appeal as correctly with decriminalised motoring offences it is a breach of contract. The bit you are supposed to do is pay to park and everything else is proof of payment. Send a photocopy of your original ticket with your informal appral letter and most councils will send you a telling off letter along with a cancellation notice. If tha doesnt work then going to PATAS is usually too much bother for most councils so proof of payment is normally accepted. Plenty of case law to support.

I would appeal as correctly with decriminalised motoring offences it is a breach of contract. The bit you are supposed to do is pay to park and everything else is proof of payment. Send a photocopy of your original ticket with your informal appral letter and most councils will send you a telling off letter along with a cancellation notice. If tha doesnt work then going to PATAS is usually too much bother for most councils so proof of payment is normally accepted. Plenty of case law to support.

Many thanks, I'll do that.

The ticket was issued under The Traffic Management Act 2004, Section 78.

More importantly...I've just opened an e-mail from the Council to inform me that although the ticket was correctly given, on this occasion they have cancelled it....but they won't if it happens again.

It looks like a bit of honesty and not trying to be clever actually works.

Well done, as you say, it seems a bit of discretion has been applied by the council, granted if it is a common occurrence then they won't look too kindly on you again.

But it does go to show that LA's are able to use their discretion, well done anyhow!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!