car written off, though scrapper had dealt it all, now got DVLA after us on tax

melloneed
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4164 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi wondering if anyone could help me here

My boyfriend lent one of his cars, around two months ago to his friend who crashed the car in a drunken accident and was subsequently arrested and prosecuted. (Thankfully he was insured) The car was written off and was completely wrecked. The car was impounded by the police and after my boyfriend telephoned them to find out what was happening. He paid the £200 storage fee price and then received a letter from a scrap company which I'm guessing work in conjuction with the police about their intention to scrap the vehicle.

He informed his insurance company about what had happened with the vehicle, and then he bought an old banger to insure on the same policy!, He didn't inform the dvla about what had happened to the car, and he assumed that the scrapping company would have told them about the circumstances.

Anyway the written off vehicle's tax was due to run out on October 30th, around November 17th he recieved a letter from the dvla about a final reminder to tax the vehicle or make a sorn. He telephoned the dvla to explain the scenario and they advised him to post details about everything. He wrote them a letter and enclosed the reciept sent to him by the scrapping company. The DVLA told him that in 4 weeks time he should get a confirmation letter.

What has worried me is however, after speaking to a number of people, and seeing some posts on here that he might be a liable for a fine. And knowing what a stubborn kind of person he is if he refuses to pay it Magistrate Summons. I'm not totally clued up here on all this some if anybody could enlighten me that would be brilliant!!!!

thanks

Just make sure that he rechecks with the DVLA regarding the confirmation letter if not received in around 3 weekshe must do this if not he could then be liable.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: