rafik233

letting agency don't want to pay back deposit

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2513 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

Today I'm coming with something that could happen to anyone :smile:

I've been renting studio flat with my fiance for over year through letting agency.

On 28-10-12 we had move out due to baby coming soon. But we still had to leave some of our items at the property. On 06-11-12 we gave back the keys to landlord and all our staff was moved from the property.

Problem I'm having is my deposit :-( I can't get it back from letting agency as they want me to show all bills closed out. And I did give them all the one I've paid :sad:. There is only one from Water Thames which is delay already one month and when I was on the phone with them I 've heard that it will be delay another 22days :mad2: if not longer because they didn't realize we have water meter fitted previously :jaw:

To cut it short, I did request my deposit as its almost month I've moved out and agency said that I wont get it until water bill will be sorted. They have my new address and still making excuses. In replay I got sent one of the points from our tenancy agreement as below:

Dear Raf,

Please find point S from your agreement:

Hand over to the Landlord or the Agent on the last day of the Tenancy howsoever it may end all the keys to the Property. The Registered Deposit will be returned to the tenants once the property has been inspected and closing accounts of all utility bills have been forwarded to the Landlord/Agent.

Please provide the closing accounts of your utility bills which correspond to the final meter readings, and covering the period up to the 5/11/12.

Regards Danny

Is it not against the law to hold deposit as to pay the bills is responsibility of tenants not agency??? Is it not against customer rights to keep deposit if there was no damages in the property and landlord was happy with state when handover the keys??

Could please someone advise on this matter as it is drives me mad and I don't know if I have any rights to claim my money before bills are paid.

Many thanks

Raf

Thread moved to Lettings forum where the guys will be happy to help as soon as they are available.

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

It is the LL who is responsable for the deposit, not agent, althiugh they amy act on his behalf.

You need to make the cliam from the deposit protection scheme, that you have moved out and they will contact agent for release.

If any amount in dispute, they must refund remainder, usually within 14 days. So make contact asap.

No they cannot with hold any monies for utilities bills etc. noting to do with them.

I am pressuming he deposit was protected and you were informed of the details; scheme and reference etc.

on what date your tenancy end, as per contract?

I assume OP took the water meter reading on the day he left and informed Thames water he was leaving.

LL should also have taken meter readings at move-out inspection to account for poss discrepancies.

Water meters can be a problem due to continuing standing charges. When was the meter fitted and at whose request LL or T.

Thames Water should be able to provide an estimated, pro-rata bill, based on Ts reading & date, without undue delay, which T can pay at bank/PO to get it receipted.

Otherwise, as ray says, put a reasonable amount, based on last water bill, in dispute with DPS to get undisputed amount returned in about 14 days, or sue for return of undisputed amount via SCC.

Both options may take longer than waiting for last bill from Thames Water, so press TW to get their act together!