kootoo

Student loan help! PAYE/Hourly paid- I'm not getting anywhere.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2516 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello

I took out my student loan in 2002- so this is on the PAYE system at 9% over threashold.

Right. I am an hourly paid leacturer which means I get paid per teaching hour. Holiday rate is included in the rate so I do get paid for holiays but with my normal salary. So in the summer I don't get a wage (but would have been paid this amount per hour)

Now due to this some months I earn quite a bit and 9% is taken off the wage as required. Now because then other months I earn nowt, when the whole rate is caluclated against and devided by 12 it means i have ended up paying more.

This happens with tax and I get a refund.

I wrote to the student loans company but they will only refund where I should have paid nothing. Ie my year wage was below the threshold.

Now in 2010/11 I earned about £16000 just over £1000 over the threashold. However because of the reasons outlined abouve I was charged £342 student loan in total for that year. Which is way above 9% of about £1000. It is more like 34%.

Still the SLC refuse to pay this back- stating that they only give refunds if you were to pay nothing.

I'm going round in circles with them. I cant find an original loan agreement which may say they will take 9%.

Anyway I can't see how they can do this, HMRC Tax will recalculate on a annual basis if you overpay. Why wont the SLC do the same. Do I have any legal standing given the fact the % repayment each year is what I agreed.

Please help I am going insane! Plus this will keep happening year on year out!

Thank you