Herbert23

Carnet ticket taken by FCC RPI. Will I hear anything else?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2513 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I was stoipped at Faringdon yesterday by an officious FCC RPI; I had a valid carnet ticket.

He asked me a few questions, but did not write anything down, did not issue me with a PFN or any other documentation. He did open the gates for me to pass, as my carnet ticket would not open them, for an unknown reason.

He did take my ticket though.

Gievn that he does not have ny name or address and has not informed me that I have done anything wrong, is there any chance I could hear from them again?

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I've started a new thread for you so you can have specific advice on your concerns. Please continue to post here. The forum regulars should be along over the course of the day with advice for you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

When you say valid was the box filled in?

Sounds to me like the gate had detected that the ticket had been used before. An error code appears on the gate pod to inform gateline staff or rpi the problem with the ticket.

These carnet tickets cause nothing but trouble and can be exploited easily.

Thanks. Yes, box filled in. I do not think the ticket had been used before but cannot be certain.

In my view as the RPI did not take my details, he did not suspect fraud. After a few questions, he opened the gate and let me out. However, if the ticket had been used before (I occasionally use one undated to get through the barrier if the one with the date filled in had become demagnetised) I was seeking reassurance that they cannot come back to me unless I had formally been issued with a notice.

I agree that the carnets are very awkward for everybody. Probably not really realistic until there is electronic ticketing everywhere.

Grateful for any advice.

Then i guess on this occasion you have nothing to worry about!! One bit of advice, the ticket by the sounds of it had been used before, these tickets are intended for ONE use only, using an undated ticket is in fact rendering that ticket used and useless.

If you are stopped again and are found to be using a ticket used before and they can check quite easily for exact date and time to within 4 minutes then you are liable for prosecution.

I personally dislike them this very reason.

Thank you. I will certainly be more careful in future.

Out of curiosity, am I right to think that you have to be issued with a PFN or a formal caution to be prosecuted for fare evasion (in other words, caught in the act)?

You have to be caught on the act of course to be prosecuted but you certainly dont need to be cautioned or issued a PFN to be prosecuted.

The caution just acts as security so you cant say you didnt say that etc