style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4163 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Thanks for replying.

It's HMRC for NI contributions, self employed.

I only got a brief glimpse of the letter, offered to help, but I've never dealt with HMRC collections before.

I will get hold of it and report back.

It seemed to merely state that the account had been put into the hands of the collection firm.

I was concerned we would encounter the vist, levy and attend to remove fees immediately appearing - like they do for business rates!

Thanks

Hello

Thanks for replying.

It's HMRC for NI contributions, self employed.

I only got a brief glimpse of the letter, offered to help, but I've never dealt with HMRC collections before.

I will get hold of it and report back.

It seemed to merely state that the account had been put into the hands of the collection firm.

I was concerned we would encounter the vist, levy and attend to remove fees immediately appearing - like they do for business rates!

Thanks

In my (limited!) experience helping a friend, I gathered some info on distraint.

The good news (at least in my friend's case!) was that HMRC "Collections" were actually very reasonable in their approach. ("Assesment" were a different matter, with a mix of very reasonable staff who were keen to help him sort out his mess of missing paperwork, with a smattering of less reasonable jobsworths!)

HMRC are also more likely to behave "by the book" than some of the horror stories re: private bailiff firm bailiffs oft seen cited on CAG. HMRC have their own collections officers for distraint : they can work with bailiffs, but if they do, the bailiff is under the direct control of the HMRC officer

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/dmbmanual/DMBM655480.htm

This applies as long as they haven't failed to levy on goods and then taken county court action : if HMRC has a CCJ they can instruct private bailiffs - but unless there is a CCJ they have to follow HMRC's distraint procedure. Their debt management manual allows you to predict how they will behave ....... for example

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/dmbmanual/dmbm655050.htm

as well as "what they can and can't levy on"

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/dmbmanual/dmbm655130.ht

& for " indirect taxes"

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/dmbmanual/DMBM655140.htm

Neither bailiff nor HMRC collections officer can force entry without a warrant for a personal (rather than business) debt.

In my friends case I was able to help him persuade "Collections" that he would get overdue information back to "Assessment" that would dramatically reduce what they would asses he owed. That (and an interim payment) persuaded "Collections" to 'hold fire', giving him time to "sort it out" with HMRC even after he'd had a "We called to levy distraint but we couldn't contact you" letter left for him.

Does your friend agree he owes what they claim, as if not can he appeal it?, and if he does agree, has he tried to reach an arrangement to pay?

As you say, they must be better behaved than your run of the mill bailiff. I used to spend a lot of time on here and can't say that I remember a single "HMRC bailiff ripped me off / threatened to take my dog" thread.

Im also encouraged that you had success challenging the amount due, which is an issue in this case.

I think I may have been overly sceptical / pessimistic because of my past experiences with business rates debts.

Thanks for your help, without which I would have (wrongly) advised that all comunication was pointless, button down the hatches and prepare for seige warfare. With a camcorder.

Not appropriate in this case......

Thanks.