V5c - cant find red one, only have blue. Is blue one still valid?

Kitten1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4152 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Sadly, my car will be walking the green mile soon following a diagnosis of a massive oil leak causing multiple problems, including head gasket issues.

It's now sitting folornly on my drive.

I want to sorn it & reclaim some of my tax back so went rooting for paperwork such as the v5c. I remember being sent the new red style one a while ago but I can't find it. I've still got the old blue one.

I'm loathe to fork out 25 quid for another one just to scrap or ebay the car as spares. Does anyone know if the blue one is still valid? It's looking like a trip to the dvla office in Chester anyway for the tax disc.

Cheers for any insight!

"In this situation, you know what you have to do? Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." Dory - Finding Nemo.:wink:

If you are the registered owner then just post the tax disk back to dvla with a tax refund request and also send them a sorn as well. then if you need to send your car to car heaven then write to dvla and notify of the vehicle loosing its fight with life.

So whats cooking today ?

I've just spoken to dvla. I told them I can't be 100% sure I received a new v5 so they are sending me a new one free of charge.

Still off to dvla office as need to get my tax disc back before tomorrow to be able to claim from 1st Dec.

"In this situation, you know what you have to do? Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." Dory - Finding Nemo.:wink:

As long as you post the tax disc off before the end of the month you will get back a pro rata monthly basis refund.

Not sure that is correct. I think they have to RECEIVE it before the end of the month.

Yes, they had to have it back by today. I saw something online about ?strike action today so thought it worthwhile having a wee jaunt to Chester with the littlie.

But, the day trip will get me 4 mths tax back, pro rata so worth the effort in my opinion! They will only refund based on full months.

To be fair, I think by the letter of the law, I agree with letsmakeamark in that you should only need to have posted it. But, as we all know, the DVLA have a habit of ignoring legislation or re-writing it to suit themselves and this may be one of them. The DVLA seem to have introduced the "we must have it back in our grubby little hands before the end of the month" rule coz that best suits them.

• 2 weeks later...
I've just spoken to dvla. I told them I can't be 100% sure I received a new v5 so they are sending me a new one free of charge.

Still off to dvla office as need to get my tax disc back before tomorrow to be able to claim from 1st Dec.

Interesting. DVLA admitted they hadn't sent one to my friend but still insisted on £25 for a new one!

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

To be fair, I think by the letter of the law, I agree with letsmakeamark in that you should only need to have posted it. But, as we all know, the DVLA have a habit of ignoring legislation or re-writing it to suit themselves and this may be one of them. The DVLA seem to have introduced the "we must have it back in our grubby little hands before the end of the month" rule coz that best suits them.

I havent had any problems with them with regards to this.

So whats cooking today ?