Income Support for pregnant16 year old

Slatted
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4137 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My friends daughter is pregnant and has reached the 29 weeks point. Was told that CTC would stop (her daughter has attended college whilst pregnant) and that the daughter would qualify for Income Support and Maternity Grant. She has now been informed this is not going to happen as she lives at home! (although she may be going into temporary respite care as my friend is undergoing exploratory surgery for a possible brain tumour).

What is the position? Is there anything for the 16 year old to claim? Surely my friend is not meant to keep her daughter for free? (then again, these days....).

If the daughter is continuing in education, generally what's financially best is for the parent to continue to claim CTC and chb as long as possible and also claim for the baby when it is born.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

My friend believes they were told that the daughter would qualify for Income Support when CTC stopped. So is everyone saying this was not true? So basically they are meant to lose a significant amount of income at a time when it is needed most.

She did not chose to end study, the course ended because the college her to one of shorter duration due to her condition.

Surely she would not be eligible for JSA or ESA either so that is ridiculous....but not unexpected sadly.

The problem is my friend is a single parent and facing surgery for her tumour next week. She has not the time or energy to go to CAB and I doubt the daughter will go on her own.:|

This is what it's like between 16 & 18, they're in no mans land, which is why it was a good thing they upped the school leaving age. Yet they are fine with my daughter leaving to go to college when she's 16. Not too happy about that but there we go.

We are all expected to keep our teens for free if they leave school without a job before 18. AND they knock off some housing benefit due to them not being a dependent, if you claim that, just to make it easier :\

BUT pretty sure even though only over 18's can usually claim income support, they still can at 16 if they are a parent. Where this leaves your friend financially, well, she wont be able to keep claiming tax credits for the daughter if the daughter leaves full time education. This the worry she could really do without by the sounds of it.

My brothers girlfriend was 16 when her baby was born & my brother was just coming up to 15. Yes 15, & she claimed income support, but this was 15 years ago. CAB really are worth a visit, maybe you could go get her the info from there?

CAB or Welfare Rights should be a good starting point, but since appointments there aren't so easy to come by these days you might want to try:

http://www.entitledto.co.uk

I'm not sure that it's completely comprehensive, but it should give you a good general idea of what she's likely to get.

Edited by LaughingGirl
broken link

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

There is something about being to claim income support at 16 if there's hardship - but, the child benefits that the parents might be more than income support?

You can claim income support at 16 if you're a lone parent. Or has the law changed since then?

The daughter is still living at home so I do not think she will be classed as a lone parent and the issue is more about the fact that my friend cannot claim CTC etc for her daughter and the daughter cannot claim anything else so at a time of most expense the income is going down and she is in no fit state to try and sort anything, her memory and thinking abilities are declining due to the lump and I can only do so much.

It is heartbreaking.

The 16 year old girl will need to visit her local connexions office to be advised about any benefit entitlement that she may have.

If she does have entitlement she will ten be referred to the under 18 officer at the local JCP office with for ES9 to state that she does have entitlement.

The under 18 officer is not able to make a decision without the young person going to connexions first.

The 16 year old girl will need to visit her local connexions office to be advised about any benefit entitlement that she may have.

If she does have entitlement she will ten be referred to the under 18 officer at the local JCP office with for ES9 to state that she does have entitlement.

The under 18 officer is not able to make a decision without the young person going to connexions first.

Thanks flumps, temporarily forgot she'd need a connexions referral.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop