style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4163 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I really hope someone can help as I really do not know what to do. I received a council tax bill (340 pounds) in May 2012 and then 4 weeks later a summons ande baillifs notice for council tax dating back to 2004. I telephoned the council and explained that whilst I lived there for a period of 6 months I had paid my council tax. The council started asking me for tenancy agreements for other tenants and bank details for the property. I explained that I would not have those details as I was not the owner of the property and have never owned the property. They asked for proof of this and I said that should be easy using land registry and I also gave them the owners name. I emailed them to ask them to update their records and hence I would not be liable for the council tax. This was all emailed. I did visit for legal advice and they said I would not be liable for someone else's council tax and if another tenant has not paid the owner would be liable. They also asked me for details of the liability order which I said I did not have (although I had requested this twice already). I received a 'notice of distress' hand delivered today (no goods seized or mentioned) and phoned the council.

The council have asked for proof that I was not the owner (which they already know) and I was told to get a letter from a solicitor stating that ' I made no financial gain from the property when it was sold'.(has anyone else been asked for this, they said it was normal?).

I still have no details of the liability order and I am not entitled to legal aid so can I write the letter they are asking for myself? I am really fed up and this seems odd, they should be able to found out who owns a property (they even have their name) and I can't afford solicitor's fees for strange requests (if this would resolve it, I would do it, BUT what they ask for keeps changing). What do I do about the notice of distress, can they levy my partner's car (not married) and he has a blue badge. Any help would be really helpful. Thanks

(refers to previous question asked in other forum) no! When I lived there I paid my council tax. At first all I was asked for was to prove I wasn't living there. I agreed to this and spoke to my council to ask for the dates that I paid council tax. But then received an email asking for completely different information. They told me they had me as the owner (and they now know this is not the case). They have now even confirmed this with the previous owner BUT I still have bailiffs and today was asked for ridiculous information! (when I gave them the owner's details I never heard back from them, even when I asked what was happening and had they updated their records!!

ok so the council have a liability order against you stating you owe x amount when you were not liable for the debt

If that is the case you will need to make a formal complaint to the council, Local MP and councilors

consider taking things further with local government ombudsmen if council fail to sort things

council should stop bailiffs immediately

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

One thing that should shut them down is you showing them proof of paying CT elsewhere in the disputed period. Is that possible?

As for proving that you "didn't own"/"didn't gain"....well how on earth are you supposed to prove a negative?

Good luck with setting aside. You'll most likely find that there was no proper hearing and no record at the court. Courts strike nasty deals with LAs.

What's the local press like?

I've seen this type of thing happen before, not Wirral Council by any chance? Have they provided you with any details of anything? You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Although for a previous address is it still the same Council where you are now? As for your OH's car make sure the Badge & clock are clearly visible in the windscreen.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi, yes I can prove I was living elsewhere and paying council tax. I'm really fed up now and I am now fighting this. I wanted to avoid solicitors as I am not entitled to legal aid and the cost may add up!

Hi, yes I can prove I was living elsewhere and paying council tax. I'm really fed up now and I am now fighting this. I wanted to avoid solicitors as I am not entitled to legal aid and the cost may add up!

You should not need a solicitor

Get on to your local MP let him/her know what the council are like

Get on to councilors

All that will be free and should get a result

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Thanks for your reply. I have not received any information just the dates they say they sent the summons which obviously I did not get as it was the previous address I lived in for 6 months in 2004! I was told I was not allowed copies of what they sent!! So I just have their word for it and the first letter I received was in May this year and it was a bill and 4 weeks later a summons and bailiffs notice!