SadDad

Not entitled to hardship?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2515 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, I lost my job in mid September and signed on around the 1st of October. I signed on twice before missing an appointment(one I stupidly requested) with a careers adviser. It was a complete mistake. My wife and 3 kids were all ill and I had been up to my knees in bodily fluids for a few days and mixed up the dates. When I realised the next day(I was getting ready to go when I noticed the date) I called them and let them know and went in later that day. The guy asked why I didnt make it and silly me told him the truth thinking it would help my case. I was wrong and we got sanctioned for 4 weeks.

I popped in when I got the letter and filled out a form for reconsideration and put in a hardship claim at the same time. The adviser said because we have kids we are in a 'special' group(her words) and it should be straight forward getting hardship.

Then the letter turns up today saying the sanction is staying in place and that we do not qualify for hardship because I failed to meet labour market conditions.

Is there anything I can do apart from appeal, we have no money and are living off the child tax credits/child benefit. I realise it was my own fault and the people in the Job center have always been nice(the last one told me to 'lie through my back teeth' on the reconsideration form).

I'm actively seeking work, this was my first offence, I have 3 kids and its making my wife's depression a bit worse.

Thanks, SD

You need to speak to the hardship team at the JCP team as you may not be entitled to hardship at the moment but coud be entitled later, they do take into account all other income including child benefit and tax credits, savings and if you have any other form of income and you would also have to suppply proof of all accounts held to show ifyou still have any other money available.

I had the same thing. But I have no kids and living on my own. My sanction is for 6 months. And with no money for electric or rent I may lose my flat and have no where to go. My nephew now occupies my old room.

I was not vulnerable enough. They received my appeal, except it got sent to Belfast instead of Basildon. Did you write out an appeal? I know it may take time to get it, but it may help.