Bentham7246

Bannatynes Cancellation charges

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2515 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there

Here's a summary of my situation:

- Joined Bannatynes in 2008, 12-Month Contract. £39/month for Multi-Gym Membership (Base gym in Skelmersdale)

- Moved to Manchester in 2010. Started to use the Manchester gym which was fine under my multi-gymmembership.

- As it wasn't my base gym I had to sign in everyday which took about 10 mins as they also had to call skelmersdale to verify my account

- I did this for a long time as they wouldn't let me transfer to the manchester gym even though it was the only one I was now using

- I told the guys in manchester and skelmersdale that I wanted to be transferred to the manchester gym and taken-off multigym as I was sick of signing in everyday. They told me I couldn't because it was a different membership system and that I would have to cancel my current contract (with a 3 month cancellation period) and then re-sign up to manchester

- I told them this wasn't fair as all I want to do it transfer gyms. I had been paying £14 more than the ppl using the manchester gym and told them this thinking my Loyalty might be noticed.

- I said I would leave the gym if I couldn't be transfered because it was ruining my gym experience (having to wait 10 mins each day) and was paying a lot more money than everyone else there who were using the same services. They couldn't care less!

- Anyways, I told them I was cancelling and stopped my direct debit. They are now chasing me for the three months cancellation £117.

- My contract does say I would have to give three months (I have recently been through the contract)

- I feel that I will have to pay this even though I wasn't happy with the service and eventually didn't have any enjoyment from going :-(

- I have been ignoring their letters to date. What will happen if I keep ignoring? Can this affect my credit rating or can they make a default agaisnt me?

Thank you

Ryan

Hi Bentham,

Given the circumstances, I think B's Gym are being their usual unreasonable selves here.

You were long-clear of the minimum m/ship period when it would be reasonable for them to stick to their 3 month's notice requirement. After the minimum m/ship period has expired, the 3 month's notice requirement seems harsh and most likely unfair to you as a consumer.

Strictly speaking, you are probably bound by the terms of the m/ship agreement and you should give them 3 month's notice to quit. However, if you don't do this, are they likely to take action against you - I think there's a possibility but not a probability.

In your case, I would write to them saying :-

I refer to your recent demands for 3 month's fees totalling £117.

I simply wanted to transfer my membership to the Manchester Gym so I could enter the facility quickly without queuing each visit. I also wanted to be paying the same per month as others using the gym, not £14 per month more. You treated me like you couldn't care less if I stayed or left, DESPITE me being a long-term member. This is short-sighted of you and, as a result, you've lost me as a loyal member.

Your requirement that I give 3 month's notice after the minimum 12 month membership period is, I believe, unreasonable in light of Mr Justice Kitchin's High Court ruling against Ashbourne Management Services Ltd last year.

However, I concede that I should perhaps have given you reasonable notice. One month's notice is recognised as reasonable and I therefore now offer to pay you one month's fee of £xx in full and final settlement of all amounts that I owe to you, to end this matter.

If you agree to accept this offer within 14 days, I will pay it.

If you do not accept my offer within 14 days, it will be withdrawn and I reserve the right to ignore further communications from you.

Send to B's HO by Rec'd Del'y and see how they respond.

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)