Jump to content


claiming Income support when on SSP?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2511 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

hi guys...


I have Glandular fever, and have had it before... last time i had it i was in college, and although i attended, for about 2-3 months my lecturers thought i was drunk whilst in class because of the state i was in (sleepy, no concentration, ETC ETC)


now, i had a weeks holiday last week from work, and as you could guarentee, fell ill whilst on holiday.

dr said i can expect to be feelin like crap for about a month (which i enlightened him to my previous two episodes of glandular fever)...


told by my employer that i should get about £70 / wk in SSP. (he doesnt deal with payrol so not certain of the amount) but obviously this isnt anywhere near as much as ESA/JSA ETC...


is there any form of help i could get elsewhere? such as income support? i tried calling the benefits line today, and got through to ESA line. they were telling me because im getting ssp (which is no where near JSA rates) i dont qualify? WTF?


i need to worry about paying my rent ETC too. i popped to the council with sicknote, told them etc (BTW, im apparantly contagious - but when i called them they said i needed to bring proof in) they then said the notice will effect from next monday...


but, what i need to know is:

do i need to notify WTC that i wont be working my usual hours? - therefore the £80/month stops too?


Also, I have a CSA case where i pay £46/wk. obviously this is a big wack out of the 70ish ssp... how is this going to be effected?... tried calling them, and they said im still liable for the full 46? WTF? 15% of net income... which has now dropped considerably...


i need to support my 2 kids and wife also and if im off work for a month, i dont see how i can manage...


any help please?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

SSP is more than ESA / JSA. Your SSP is around £80 a week. ESA / JSA / IS is £71 a week for a single person.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can carry on claiming WTC while you receive SSP. You can claim housing benefit to help with rent while on a low income. Sorry I don't know much about csa.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

oh right sorry, i thought i was clear, COUPLE allowance is 112 /week on jsa/esa,


SSP is less than this. (85/wk) my WTC is 22/wk so 22+85 = 107/week this is still 5 a week less than esa/jsa.


i called up esa line, and told them i wished to claim income support for families on low incomes, was told by three people i needed to claim esa then back it IS. until i got to a lady on ESA line that said, since im considered working (SSP means im still working) i can claim IS until i work 16 hrs or more a week or SSP ends then it becomes ESA. (im hoping ill be back in work WELL BEFORE the end of SSP tho)


the only thing i worry about is the CSA payment, but the lady on the IS claim line said even if im not recieving benefit (£0 per week) i will still be classed as in reciept of income support until working over 16 hrs a week (same is true with JSA as when i claimed this i often recieved no money because i was over the value but still considered "in reciept" because i wanted "their help to find work"


i called up CSA today (even though I would advise nobody to take on such a task) to which i got 2 different employees talk to me like a POS. another lady in belfast (valerie) hang up on me, and then when i called to speak to a manager , the manager Andrea speak in a pretty crappy tone too...

I told them I had a claim for IS in from 26th november (benefits line will backdate to monday because its when i first got in touch with Dr, and he suggested at the time it was most likely a "viral infection" that would pass in a matter of days.)


anyway 3 people spoke to and NON of the three updated my file to record the Change. I KNOW TO ALWAYS WITE TO THE CSA. but i also sent off a recorded letter to them...


i hate to seem like im dodging when im not but its annoying that i will infact get full HB/CTB when on IS and be BETTER OFF financially then when im working yet my CM payment will be £5/week, and because cost of keeping in touch with son is over £10 / week then i will legally have to pay nil. - although i will still insist on supporting my son - dont get me wrong :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...