Lodger done an overnight bunk

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4165 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ive had a 'friend' staying with me for 5 months. I drafted a written tenancy agreement with him and stated I was happy to wait until he had sorted out housing benefit to pay rent to me or to the housing association that the house belongs to.

Written permission from the association was sought and granted, and the application was put in. After 5 months of him piddling about I finally had enough as I hadn't received a penny.

I told him rent in a week or your out. He subsequently did a bunk leaving the house in a disgusting state as I had been away for a couple of weeks looking after an ill relative.

I have an address that he has post sent to but not the address where hes actually living. Ive spoken to housing benefit who inform me that he failed to return documents they had asked for so his claim had been rejected. I am unable to appeal to recover rent Ive paid as he has to be the one to register an appeal.

The housing association have said theres very little they can do but recommend legal action.

Ive started a claim on moneyclaim.gov but havent finalised it yet as £70 is a lot of money to start the claim when Im unsure of my legal stance.

Advice anyone?????

All you can do is send a Letter before Action to his forward mailing address, threatneing legal action and regitration and registration of any resultant CCJ. If £70 MCOL fee is too much, his HB claim has been cancelled and he did a bunk when rent was demanded, I think your chance of him paying up is unlikely. Best to suck up your loss and delete him from your Xnas card list. IMO you have a valid claim if you are prepared to spend more money.

If you don't have a definite address and if he doesn't have any assets then it is scarcely worth starting the action, I'm afraid.

This is why people take deposits.