style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2425 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I know this sounds really daft, but I'm not sure if I qualify as being disabled or not. I was diagnosed with MS a couple of years ago. On top of this I have a bad back due to an injury I sustained 20 years ago and I have a congenital condition that makes the bones in my feet dislocate, which sometimes means I have to walk with a stick and I limp a lot. I work full time and don't receive DLA - I don't qualify for it, as I don't need help getting around or in the house most of the time. In fact, up until a couple of years ago, I was quite fit and active, going to Zumba and Pilates, etc.

However, over the past 6 months or so, my health has deteriorated quite markedly and I'm having to use my stick more and more. I avoid taking the stairs whenever possible, as I have poor balance and get tired very quickly (occasionally I fall over). I've started perusing disabled products on websites to make life a bit easier at home, but I'm still not at the stage where I need assistance.

What do you think? Do I sound disabled to you?

To be classed as disabled under the equalities act, you must have a health condition (the name doesn't matter) which affects day to day activities - such as walking, communicating, eating, etc.

From what you said, it sounds as though you meet the definition.

It does not sound daft at all...its the system that is daft ...it seems that for the last few years Doctors and Employers are all in a type of Mexican stand off when it comes to comitting to the BIG QUESTION ...is this person disabled.....as daft as it seems ..its all down to money and the implications of the person being classed as Disabled or not....

You need to read the Equality Act which sets out the criteria for a classification of Disability..But I would say that as your problems are long term (or likely to last 12 months or more) ...you would be covered..

Sometimes a Court or Tribunal will have to decide if a person is Disabled or not..with regard to Benefits ..this is another sticky area, as they are now saying that blind people are capable of working..and indeed amputees....again it's all down to money..and in this current climate ..no one wants to make the call....

I hope I have not confused you (it is a very confusing topic for some people depending on how badly they are deemed to be Disabled and the circumstances..yet others just quite easily get the Disability qualification...).

I think you should approach you GP as the first move and discuss your issues , and gauge the response..some GP 'S are very helpful ..others not !! ).

Eddy.

i would just like to say that i agree with Edwincad with regards his comments about ginng to see the doctor as your first step. I would suggest you write down all your difficulties on a piece of paper and discuss with the doctor the problems that you have

you state in one paragraph that you dont need dla then state in the next that you have trouble with your balence and difficulties with the stairs, so it would seem that you are having trouble with your mobility which is what dla is designed for.

having gone through the process of my wife getting a diagnosis of a neurological condition over the last 18 months,and subsequent claims for ESA and DLA,i can fully appreciate how difficult it is to admit you have a problem to other people

i would also like to say occupational health are also a good place to start,you can access them via your local council

may i wish you well and say if i can be of any assistance via CAG i would be more than happy to help

stoney47

The reference to occupational health is a brilliant idea,,mine have been amazing.I have MS (long time diagnosed) and from what you have said you seem to fit the criteria for DLA.

I wish you luck and good health

xxx

Lillibelle

I only know what I know cos I know it,I only give advice,I'm not legally trained nor do I pretend to be.

It's occupational therapy and not occupational health.

(sorry!)

You don't need a referral for this. You need to contact social services. They may have departments for adults and those with certain disabilities; such as sensory and learning disability.

sorry for my mistake ref O.T

i was concentating on my typing (very poor on the computer skills)

Thanks for all of your feedback. I'm looking into OT and am in regular contact with OH at work. I haven't applied for DLA, but I have applied for a Blue Badge from my local council. I feel less of a fraud for your comments. I appreciate it.

Thanks for all of your feedback. I'm looking into OT and am in regular contact with OH at work. I haven't applied for DLA, but I have applied for a Blue Badge from my local council. I feel less of a fraud for your comments. I appreciate it.

Thats really good news hun.... now...feeling a fraud..You know as well as I do that the symptoms of our mutual disease do not always manifest themselves on the outside of our bodies..it's an isiduous little git,it affects us internally very often. NEVER feel a fraud EVER!! expunge your energies on keeping yourself as well as you can and you will find your own coping mechanism. We often lack in vitamin B6 and potassium so maybe get your Dr to check that,and anything you want to know re MS please feel free to ask,I have had it for 27 years (diagnosed at 23) so am a bit of an old hand at it :)

Hope you keep well for a long time

xxxxx

Lillibelle

I only know what I know cos I know it,I only give advice,I'm not legally trained nor do I pretend to be.

Regarding definitions of disability, take a look at this.

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/advice-and-guidance/your-rights/disability/

Have you an Unemployed Workers Organisation or Welfare Rights in your area? If so, give them a ring and they will give you a complete benefit check to see what you are entitled to. There's also CAB as well.

It sounds to me that you are a disabled person so I would apply for DLA (under 65 years of age.) If you do apply I would get someone professional to do it as the forms are very long. People tend to underplay the issues that they have so you might not put everything down. Don't be put off by the length of the form as you can do it in stages. In the meantime, I would suggest you write down everything that you have difficulty doing for a couple of weeks and then it will give you an idea.

Tips on How to fill a DLA form in. www.dls.org.uk/.../filling...DLA_forms/

Might be worth joining an MS Online Support Group as well. Good Luck!