style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2513 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all,

what are the powers of a bailiff in situation like this.

My neighbour got clamped yesterday by a jbw bailiff ,

she acknowledged that she knew of the matter and had appealed to the council,

i spoke to the bailiff and she called the council who said they havent had any coorospondece,

after failed attempts to come to any matual understanding

the bailiff called a tow truck and my neighbour sat in the car

.the police came and said they have no powers to remove her of the vehicle and told they bailiff not to pull her out etc.

.. The bailiff said he can use resonable force as he has seized the goods but the police were not to sure and left...

Am i right in saying once your car gets clamped sit in it and bailiff or police has no powers to get you out?

what was the debt over?

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

It makes a change the police not assisting the bailiffs glad there is still decent police about as they should only ever prevent a breach of the peace

it will depend on the debt and amount owing in relation to the value of vehicle

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

It makes a change the police not assisting the bailiffs glad there is still decent police about as they should only ever prevent a breach of the peace

it will depend on the debt and amount owing in relation to the value of vehicle

Congestion charge

535boy

Before responding can you post back to let us know whether payment was made or whether the car was taken. At the moment, we merely have a half story.

Also, as this is a congestion charge PCN it woukd assist VERY much indeed if you could post back with details of the fees being charged.

I dont know about fees as it wasnt me but my neighbour,yes payment was made including truck fees.

All i was intrested in was my question forfuture refrence,,incase i get clamped shall i just sit in car or has bailiff got power to remove me it

Bailiff cannot take you if you sit in the car.

If you are able to, it would be very useful to know what fees have been charged. Did a "tow truck" actally arrive or was it just "threatened"

Truck was there thats why he called police.

I believe, but am not certain, that congestion charge warrants are the same as PCN 'warrants'. In the case of PCN 'warrants' the bailiff although being a certified court bailiff is merely acting as a private bailiff and thus the latter defines his legal status when clamping. Hence he has no powers at all. The police understanding this is a different matter.

Congestion charges have the same legal standing as all local authority issued PCN's. They are merely CIVIL debts that can be enforced by private sector bailiffs.

Thank you, I now have certainty.

It would be interesting to know whether the bailiff has charged the correct fees?

Always, the chances are extremely slim.

As it is JBW it's odds on OP can challenge the fees. and threaten JBW and their emplloyer the council with small claims track or recovery. Now that would be nice a bailiff calling on Jamie Waller.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!