Barclays reserve charges **REFUNDED as asked !! **

gaz0609
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4156 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi im new to this forum so any help will be much appreciated. I am currently stuck in my £500 reserve with Barclays due to other financial difficulties. As you probably know they charge £22 a week for the priviledge!

With me being stuck in my reserve i am currently being charged £88 a month in fees, which along with everything else im struggling to pay. I have tried to phone Barclays but i think they have call centres in India or somewhere, and they tend to stick to a pretty rigid script so they have been no use to me. I also went into my local branch to discuss my situation. All they could do was try and set me up with a loan to pay off my reserve and overdraft! Not ideal really as thats just more debt.

Is there anyway that they may freeze the charges for maybe 6 months or so to give me a chance of paying this reserve off? Has anyone had any experience with Barclays regarding reserve charges? Any advice welcome.:???:

Hi Gaz and welcome to CAG

Phoning the bank is pointless for 2 reasons:-

1. They'll nearly always fob you off or tell you they'll report your concerns and someone will call you back .............. which won't happen.

2. You need a clear paper trail as evidence of what is discussed and/or agreed. The content of phone conversations is not readily available to you so, even though your are told something, this can later be denied by the bank.

Read here about the bank's duty to treat you fairly - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/announcement.php?f=7&a=220

Then read here about seeking a refund of charges made by the bank and a freeze of charges and interest - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?557-Letter-for-an-application-for-consideration-for-hardship

You could also call National Debtline or other similar services for free advice on help with debt - http://www.consumerwiki.co.uk/index.php/Debt:_Where_to_Get_Help

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks for that slick

If i tried to get my charges refunded who would i send my letter to, my local branch or head office?

Would it be an idea to set up a parachute bank account and transfer everything over to that while i tried to sort this out with barclays? That way they would'nt be able to take any more fees with there being no money going into the account. Or would this work out worse with them charging even more fees..... especially if they werent to accept my hardship claim?

Many thanks.

Hi Gaz,

Yes, a parachute a/c is a good idea. If the bank refuses to help you get out of financial difficulty and their charges lead you towards a downward spiral of debt and charges, you may have to simply leave the a/c with them and tell them where to stick their oppressive charges.

You can move your finances to another bank (even a basic-type a/c) and leave the problem behind to sort if you are ready or able.

Write to Barclays HQ or Cust'r Relations by Rec'd Del'y using an address here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?208-Email-or-contact-details-for-Barclays(6-Viewing)-nbsp

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Many thanks slick

I think thats my first course of action then, to open up a parachute account.I was thinking of going with the co-op,does anybody know if they have any connections with barclays in anyway?

If they did refuse to help and i could'nt pay anymore would they maybe set up a payment plan? Where would i stand if i told them where to stick their charges, would they set debt collectors onto me?

Many thanks

Hi Gaz,

Co-Op has no connections with Barclays so it's a safe option for a parachute a/c.

If you had to leave the debt, at least that'll stop them adding further charges after a while. They'll chase for payment and then ask a DCA to pursue it.

The bank may agree to accept a payment plan to clear the debt, but not necessarily.

However, try for the refund and no-further-charges approach citing Financial Difficulty (if it applies to you) and see how the bank responds.

Hi Slick

Ok ive sent my letter of hardship off today, not holding out much hope with it being barclays, but we'll see.Also made an appointment next week with the co-op to open up a basic bank account. Will i be ok opening up a basic account with a poor credit rating?

If all attempts failed and it went to a DCA, where would i stand with them? would they let me set up a payment plan? Ive never had experience with a DCA before.:-)

If you encounter problems opening the new a/c, there are several options for a "basic" a/c which should enable you to bank elsewhere.

If the a/c goes to a DCA, we'll deal with that when it happens. But remember, a DCA has no authority or powers. The only way a debt can be enforced is through a court and you're a long way off that yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just a quick update.....

Received a letter from Barclays today. In a nutshell it basically said they were'nt responsible for the problems i am having with my account, but they sympathise with my financial situation etc etc..........

BUT........ as a gesture of good will and because of the way my account was run prior to my problems they will refund me the charges i claimed for and then take away my reserve account. So a good result id say.

Ive also got the form for my parachute a/c which i will send off. The co-op have told me i wont have any problems opening a basic account.

Hi Gaz and I'm delighted at the outcome you've achieved here !! :whoo:

An excellent result which gives you the opportunity to clear the slate and move on.

Let us know if you set up the parachute a/c as required.

Thread title amended to reflect your ***WIN*** :cheer2:

:-)