Asda Car Parks... A battlefield? ** Resolved satisfactorily**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4143 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took my Grandmother to her local Asda on Sunday (Colchester Store) and as I pulled in there was 4 UKCPL attendants walking about on their phones,

watching videos and so on at the entrance (Overkill, I thought?).

As I pulled up into a disabled bay, no less than three of these blokes very nearly ran towards my car to look for the blue badge

(Which my Grandmother was meticulously setting the time on) as I was walking away from it.

I couldn't believe it as I looked around, there must have been 20 of them in a 300 slot car park..

. Are they on commission or something?

Are Asda bosses being threatened with beatings if this lot aren't allowed to issue invoices? It all seemed a bit odd to me.

Granny had put the badge up (Kinda') and it was back to front (The wheel chair and serial number weren't showing)

and as I returned back after 15-20 minutes, there were two of them around my car. Not just waiting, to tell me not to do it again, but issuing a ticket!

Obviously, once issued, I binned it and told the bloke that he was being completely unreasonable and it'd go no where.

As I got into the car and started to get going, he then stood behind the car until I got out and asked him what the problem was;

He said that as I'd thrown it in the bin, he was calling security to come and "Sort me out"?

Now, I'm a security officer with 3 years under my belt and wasn't phased at all,

but the Guard arrived with an un-addressed banning letter and told me not to come back again,

as the car park bloke handed me a freshly issued ticket.

She was asleep in the car and woke up to this bloke smacking the wiper back down on the windscreen and I'm really not happy with the way it was handled.

Naturally you are not going to be paying?

Might also be an idea to send a well worded letter to Asda to advise that this incident and the totally unreasonable 'ban' will deprive Asda of your regular custom. The local newspaper might also be interested in the story - and Asda would certainly not want to be linked to negative press like that.

Is the car park actually owned by Asda or are they merely tenants on a piece of land, and the landlord appoints the PPC? It may be that Asda themselves are not responsible, but they should certainly apply pressure on the landlord about their monkeys' tactics.

Your one issue here is that the banning notice could render you as trespassing if you were to return.

Are they on commission? I can almost guarantee it - and Christmas is coming!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

i'd upset asda by asking for the cctv footage too.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I wont pay, I've read this site enough times to learn my lessons. (I used to work for Sainsburys under Securitas and used to think that Euro-CP were the bees knees, until people started clicking onto not paying and then I realised it was all a con!)

It's an Asda site with Asda branding and Asda own the car park. I don't shop at Asda much, just Granny likes their pork pies and I had to get a few bits in there as I was passing. It's absurd.

Indeed the banning notice would render me a tresspasser, however, it wasn't addressed, named or signed by a manager. It was ripped out of a binder (Literally, paper was torn) and thrust at me by the Security/Profit protection officer.

I won't pay, but they do have ANPR, which in my experience, you can link up to the monitoring station and have a message displayed on screen to inform security. Then I'd be treated like a shop lifter as I entered, as my car would most certainly have been banned, as the Guard mentioned.

It's all a pile of toss to be fair and I'm glad I don't shop there... But issuing two tickets in the space of 5 minutes... Low.

Naturally you are not going to be paying?

Might also be an idea to send a well worded letter to Asda to advise that this incident and the totally unreasonable 'ban' will deprive Asda of your regular custom. The local newspaper might also be interested in the story - and Asda would certainly not want to be linked to negative press like that.

Is the car park actually owned by Asda or are they merely tenants on a piece of land, and the landlord appoints the PPC? It may be that Asda themselves are not responsible, but they should certainly apply pressure on the landlord about their monkeys' tactics.

Your one issue here is that the banning notice could render you as trespassing if you were to return.

Are they on commission? I can almost guarantee it - and Christmas is coming!

If I recall correctly, my local Asda site used to be one where clamping was rampant and of course that line of income has now been removed, so I daresay that they are throwing sheer numbers at the car park in order to try and maintain profits - either that or it was a training day for new recruits!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

As an aside, Yukiko, in case you should park on a street leaving a badge holder in the car while you 'just nip out' to get them something, the Blue Badge rules specifically forbid this. Just or unjust, that's how it is, so do be careful.

But as for the Asda shabiha, that is most certainly unjust and I wish you well in the action you take against them.

Yukiko,

Are you going to make a complaint to Asda ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Err no it doesn't work like that.

Tresspass is a tort so whenever you see signs saying Tresspassers Will Be Prosecuted they are meaningless (well except for Mininstry of Defence Land and certain Royal Residencies).

Before any action could be taken against you the land-owner would need to take out an injunction against you,

and then if you return to the property then and only then could some action be taken.

What they have done is issue a banning order, presumably that bans you from the store (which they are quite within their rights to do so),

but given the circumstances and the presumed lack of CCTV that's hardly likely to be enforced

(well OK the guy who issue it might recognise you but anyone not there won't know you have been banned).

I'd take this up direct with Asda and also the local paperMossy

I thought as long as you were doing the bidding of the old dear in question, it was okay? i.e, if I was going to get her food, prescription etc it was Okay? Either way, I accept this input.

As an aside, Yukiko, in case you should park on a street leaving a badge holder in the car while you 'just nip out' to get them something, the Blue Badge rules specifically forbid this. Just or unjust, that's how it is, so do be careful.

But as for the Asda shabiha, that is most certainly unjust and I wish you well in the action you take against them.

CB, I most certainly am. A £10 Asda gift card won't stop me from causing a right stir about this. I think it's disgusting. As a side note, my car (Vauxhall Cavalier) doesn't have wipers you can just pull up right (The bonnet has to be up) and now the damn thing isn't hitting the screen properly (The last 6" of the blade isn't hitting the screen).

Just imagine if it was some old dear who'd just pay up and shut up... Reckon she'd get the banning letter?

I thought as long as you were doing the bidding of the old dear in question, it was okay?

i.e, if I was going to get her food, prescription etc it was Okay? Either way, I accept this input.

No, it.s not allowed. Your gran will have been supplied a copy of the rules when she was issued the badge. You can see for yourself.

As an aside, Yukiko, in case you should park on a street leaving a badge holder in the car while you 'just nip out' to get them something, the Blue Badge rules specifically forbid this.

Not true at all, it is only frowned upon. Please see page 8 (second bullet point) of the Blue Badge booklet.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@disabled/documents/digitalasset/dg_186198.pdf

I thought as long as you were doing the bidding of the old dear in question, it was okay? i.e, if I was going to get her food, prescription etc it was Okay? Either way, I accept this input.

CB, I most certainly am. A £10 Asda gift card won't stop me from causing a right stir about this. I think it's disgusting. As a side note, my car (Vauxhall Cavalier) doesn't have wipers you can just pull up right (The bonnet has to be up) and now the damn thing isn't hitting the screen properly (The last 6" of the blade isn't hitting the screen).

Just imagine if it was some old dear who'd just pay up and shut up... Reckon she'd get the banning letter?

So on top of banning you.. they have damaged your vehicle.. sue them !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yukiko. Your post is proof of what the vast majority of people on this forum had thought would happen when clamping was banned from October 1st.

"Rouge clampers" would be quickly replaced by "rouge ticketers". Just as predicted!!!

Are "ASDA" "barking mad" !!

Stores and Supermarkets should be encouraging shoppers to use their stores. This crazy use of parking attendants will merely force more people towards internet shopping.

Personally, I would be sending a Letter of Complaint to the Manager of ASDA with a copy to their Head Office. Unless letters of complaint are sent, the stores will not know the views of the public. They would NOT want to loose trade.

• Haha 1

Yukiko. Your post is proof of what the vast majority of people on this forum had thought would happen when clamping was banned from October 1st.

"Rouge clampers" would be quickly replaced by "rouge ticketers". Just as predicted!!!

Are "ASDA" "barking mad" !!

Stores and Supermarkets should be encouraging shoppers to use their stores. This crazy use of parking attendants will merely force more people towards internet shopping.

Personally, I would be sending a Letter of Complaint to the Manager of ASDA with a copy to their Head Office. Unless letters of complaint are sent, the stores will not know the views of the public. They would NOT want to loose trade.

I think there is a very strong point here in as much as we very often advise people to ignore these invoices. Don’t get me wrong as I am conscious of the fact that this approach has been very successful, however, the consequence of silence is that many retailers are not aware of the despicable tactics often used by their car park agents and therefore the unfair practice continues unrecognised. In other cases the recipient often challenges the PPC , which merely results in a game of letter ping pong and once again the major player in all of this is unaware of the impact that these companies could have on the core business.

To provide an example, I am aware of very recent case of a driver receiving a £95.00 demand for an over stay of under 15 Minutes in an Edinburgh retail outlet. A polite but strongly worded letter to customer service resulted in the charge being dropped and an apology within the space of 72 hours.

Therefore there may be argument for encouraging everyone who chooses to respond to completely bypass the parking companies and aim all challenges and complaints to the retailer to ensure that they are made aware of their agent’s actions.

I strongly believe that companies such as ASDA would sit up and pay attention if enough complaints were received from customers, particularly for the most minor of breaches.

Edited by citizenB
increased font size

Right, I've received a phone call this afternoon from a lady at Asda head office.

In response to my e-mail, she will ensure that the PPC will not pursue this matter by any means. (This will be confirmed in writing)

I am NOT banned from Asda Stores. The Area Manager has authorised this. (This will be confirmed in writing)

The PPC have been instructed to REMOVE the issuing parking attendants from site

The Security Guard and Store Manager are to write to me seperately in response

£100 Asda voucher which can be used anywhere in store (Petrol/Store/Clothing) (To be posted)

She also said that if I have any concerns about my vehicle, that they will cover damages. I said specifically that the wiper blade was damaged and the paint work on the inside edge of my bonnet has been marked. We came to a mutual agreement that a new pair of 18" blades and a bottle of T-Cut scratch remover can be supplied FOC by the offending store.

All of this was in response to a firmly written complaint to head office voicing my intention to complain to every paper that'll listen and taking legal action for the damage to my car.

Sounds like TCPUK or whatever they were made a cock up here.

Complaining to the retailer really is the way to go, Sainsburys will only give you £5 or £10 over the customer service desk (as I've worked in their stores before) but seriously, fire the big guns, make some noise and they WILL listen.

Well done Yukiko - result !

BCOBS

Seems as though binary already has a thread regarding this.. so I will simply transfer the relevant posts

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?366729-UKPC-Parking-charge/page3

All binary's posts have been moved to the thread linked above.

BCOBS

Wow, what a brilliant result! Well done to Asda too - extremely fair and definitive response as far as I can tell!

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Absolutely agree - Asda have shown the way to go with these sorts of complaints and it is absolutely essential that anybody (who is a genuine customer of a store) who is issued a ticket on their premises complains loudly and persistently. Stores genuinely value repeat custom and cannot afford to be seen as colluding with the sharp practices of PPCs who will damage their reputation amongst the wider community.

Take it from me that the biggest battles in retail at present are not over prices or product range, but customer service, and this is measured very closely - if a complaint to a store is not upheld, then criticism of the store's response when escalated to head office WILL be!

DONATE HERE

excellent result

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...