No MOT clamped - paid £260

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4158 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, hoping someone can advise.

My car is not running at the moment and has been parked up my drive on SORN, I had to move it out last week to get access to my drive. So I parked the car outside my house and put the battery on charge.

Was supposed to put it back on the drive at weekend but didn't and of course this morning a road tax van spots it and clamps it.

I went out to explain, but they were having none of it. Clamped it and said it was being impounded unless i paid £260, or i could collect it from impound for £260 + £21 per day. I had to pay the £260 there and then.

I know my fault, but just wanted to check a couple of things:

1) To insure the car and get its tax would be more than the £260 - so if I do nothing and lose the £260 is that the end of the matter?

I have now moved the car onto the drive again (and confirmed it is still sorn)

2) as the car had no insurance will the police become involved and fine me through the post?

Any help appreciated

Unfortunately thems the rules now. As far as i know, the DVLA will act under the new continuous insurance enforcement rules which state that a vehicle must either be SORNd or taxed and insured. If it is SORNd then it MUST NOT be kept on a public road at any time. I believe that if you do nothing, you car will be crushed but i think you will still be liable for a penalty (I am happy to be corrected on that though). https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles

The good news is that driving without insurance is a separate offence so it is doubtful that the police will be involved unless you have been caught/reported for doing so.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Thanks for reply - not sure if i follow

I have paid the £260 fine and moved the car off the road, is that the end of it as the car is still sorn?

Sorry, I missed that bit. I would check with the DVLA to see if the SORN is still effective and if there is any intention of them pursing the matter further. You could run a check here https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry?execution=e1s2 which will state the vehicle status.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

It won't be a further 'Fine', but what they may do is claim for the unpaid duty from when the last licence expired.

Hi,

There shouldn't be any back dated unpaid duty to pay as long as the car was continously 'sorned' both before & after you moved the car. As you said you checked this then you will be okay.

It's such a shame thou that just by removing your car from the drive to the road & back cost you £260!! That was some bad luck to get caught out this way, but as another poster said it's the law now.

Regards

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

Hi,

There shouldn't be any back dated unpaid duty to pay as long as the car was continously 'sorned' both before & after you moved the car. As you said you checked this then you will be okay.

It's such a shame thou that just by removing your car from the drive to the road & back cost you £260!! That was some bad luck to get caught out this way, but as another poster said it's the law now.

Regards

Don't think that is true i'm afraid. If you breach the terms of your SORN, it would invalidate it thus meaning that any duty would be due from when the last valid disc expired. Again, I am happy to be proven wrong.

Please Note

Hi,

There shouldn't be any back dated unpaid duty to pay as long as the car was continously 'sorned' both before & after you moved the car.

Regards

See the Vehicles Excise & Registration Act 1994, Section 29. 3A, (a) & (b), Section 30. (1) & (2) & Section 31. (1) & (2) which explains the liability for the outstanding duty for using or keeping a SORN vehicle on a public road.

Edited by Raykay

Many thank to both Sailor Sam & Raykay, for the correct information.

Previously I was led to believe that as long as your vehicle is sorned continously without a break then no back dated duty was due. So that's true BUT only if it's parked on a drive etc & NOT at anytime moved onto a public road (whatever the reason).

So in this case would the OP have to pay all back dated duty from when the car was originally sorned?

Regards & thank again :)

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

My car is not running at the moment............parked up my drive on SORN, Was supposed to put it back on the drive at weekend but didn't ..........2) as the car had no insurance ...........

Unless I'm reading your post incorrectly, your car was without MOT, SORNed and no insurance, yet you moved it onto the road.