style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2522 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

my mother recently [last 18months] replaced a boundary fence to her rented property as the Landlord said it was not their responsibility [this is a boundary fence not a party fence] – the previous fence was a landlord erected fence and after 26years of weather it was rotten [it was painted and maintained as best we could but a timber fence will only last so long].

Long story short the house in general is in such disrepair that after we threatened legal action the landlord is moving her to a ‘better’ property around the corner – she’s not happy about it as she's lived there 26years but she has little choice, after some negotiation they have agreed to give her £800 towards redecorating the new house as the current property was a shell when she took it on and all the fixtures, fittings and decoration are hers - but they won’t make a contribution to the fence – can she take it with her?

People who haven't made mistakes, haven't made anything!

No she cannot, IMO it replaces LLs original property, so her deposit could be deducted for another replacement if she removed it.

Why is she willing to move for a £800 bribe, and not get EHO to chase LL for repairs on current property?

LL sounds like he needs to be reminded of his responsibilities.

This is following a long long argument over disrepair – I need about 3 pages to write it all and to be honest.

They have messed her about no end – I started writing to them 18 months ago about the place being rotten after they attempted a 48% increase in rent which they wanted to take affect with 3 weeks of them asking [all done over the phone!]– they’ve said that there was a potential better property around the corner, we viewed it and agreed to move and pay the extra rent as it's a nice house - but they then decided that they wanted to sell the other property and would fix up the place she’s in now, that was around Feb this year

Last week when chasing the repairs [which I estimate at 50k+] they said that they were now willing to let her move to the other place, mums very annoyed but she’s currently in a property with no heating and windows with 10mm gaps in them…the toilet literally froze a couple of years ago. The walls ooze water all the time, and as horrible as it sounds the bathroom is always full of slugs and snails.

So you can imagine that other house looks like a pretty nice deal – we’ve had to really challenge them for a contribution towards the decoration of the new place as they just wanted her to move in with thread bare carpets and stained walls.

We've also had to negotiate the move for Jan as they wanted her to move in Christmas week!

I have responded on her behalf saying that she’d accept the 'deal' but would like a contribution to the new fence as she’d previously asked them to replace it when the old one rotted to dust – they replied and said no.

She now wants to take the fence as we can use it at the new place but I think it’s a grey area – yes they should have replaced it but there was a boundary fence when she moved in irrelevant of how we got to where we are.

For the record there is no inventory or deposit on this place.

This is also not a little landlord this is a company who's property arm made an operating profit of over 500million last year!

People who haven't made mistakes, haven't made anything!