Can I get backdated benefits

gunslinger
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4166 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry if this is the wrong place.

Hi All, I have been unemployed since 20th July and was told by loads of people including my previous employer that I couldn't claim benefits as I resigned. I now believe that this is not true but in the meantime I have gone nearly £2000 into overdraft. Can anyone advise me on the best way to try and get something from DWP. To make things worse or better I start a new job on Tues but still leaves me with a huge debt. Help please

Sorry you won't be able to get backdated JSA without good cause, and not realising you could claim is not good cause. If it makes you feel better, you could well have got a sanction on your JSA for resigning.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I have been told this pm by a member of staff at DWP that I would not be entitled to anything for my 4 months unemployment. This is actually untrue so they obviously dont have a clue. It has to be assessed but for them to tell me straight off that I would get nothing is outrageous. I have paid my tax and NI so I must have some entitlement. Because of misinformation I am now over £2000 in debt that cant be right??

they way that they will look at it is that you made your self unemployed so why should the tax payer pay for you giving up your job. it may not be the answer you were looking for but i'm sure it will be the same answer from the DWP.

under the OP post

the sinero would be i work outside all the time but as it's cold in the winter i will stop work get benifit then start work again when the wether gets better, because i've paid my taxes.

Edited by huggy41

PHOTOBUCKET TUTORIAL IS NOW DONE HERE IT IS

I have been told this pm by a member of staff at DWP that I would not be entitled to anything for my 4 months unemployment. This is actually untrue so they obviously dont have a clue. It has to be assessed but for them to tell me straight off that I would get nothing is outrageous. I have paid my tax and NI so I must have some entitlement. Because of misinformation I am now over £2000 in debt that cant be right??

based upon the information you have provided, it is unlikely you would be entitled to anything

you could try applying for backdated benefits, however you would have to demonstrate continuous good cause for delay in claiming

plus even if they do accept you had good cause, it is likely that they would apply a sanction due to you leaving work voluntarily

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

You are probably not entitled to any JSA. There are two issues at play:

1. The reason why you left your last job
  2. The reason why you did not claim at the time

With regard to 1), you are correct that it isn't an automatic disqualification. Each such case would be considered on its merits, and your former boss was not correct when he said you "would not" be entitled to JSA. For some reason, though, I've heard many reports of bosses saying such things. A sanction may be applied, but no-one other than the DWP Decision Maker who considers the case can tell you whether or not it will be an issue.

Issue 2) is a bit more clear-cut. It's highly unlikely that you'll be entitled to backdated JSA, although you are of course free to make a claim if you wish. But as Estellyn mentioned earlier, "I didn't know I could claim" is not considered to be good cause for a late claim, and that's pretty much what you have said on this thread.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.