currys pc world repair centre

noshoes
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have never had to complain about any service or product before and really need some help and pointers with what to do/say

I purchased two hp pavillion laptops from my local currys store 27th January 2012, I did not purchase any extended warranty.

These laptops were gifts for my daughters 24th and 16th birthdays so we talking responsible adults.

After about a month the older daughters laptop said it had a problem with the fan

but it didn;t happen again for a while so we thought laptop was fine,

recently fan warning appearing more frequently,

we called currys who arranged to pick up the laptop monday 19th November 2012.

On saturday (yesterday) at 6.00pm daughter received a call to say laptop could not be repaired as there has been a drink/water damage to laptop.

As we have moved into the smallest house i have ever seen in my life

we pauchased these laptops so that the girls could keep them upstairs,

they are both kept on the same desk,

no drinks are allowed upstairs,

and i have no water supply upstairs what so ever.

I have called currys today and have been given the complete run around,

i have called 3 times to ask them to email photos of damage,

each time they have said it will be done within the next hour.

Then I was told point blank they could not email photos and vaguely mentioned data protection.

I then called the repair centre in newark who said they had no problem with me being sent the photos and yet again would be done with in the hour,

and yet still nothing received

I called newark repair centre again who said they couldn't email the photos as they hadn't the programme available to open photos

(even though photos were taken in newark repair centre). and

they have emailed customer services in southampton who were meant to email with in a hour and yet again i still receive nothing.

This laptop was working before it was sent away, was just overheating and shutting down occassionally.

Customer services are saying that my guarantee is void and will not repair fan because of spillage.

But a lady who i spoke to called abbey said that if laptop was under 6 months old they would have repaired it, I pointed out it was a 12 months gaurantee not 6.

I have been given the address for claims investigations.

Do they give you the run around in the hope you just give up am i chasing a lost cause. Im so cross at how i have been treated today.

Also on both laptops when you check on the hp warranty,

both warranties start two weeks before we even purchased laptops.

Surely as you register the warranty when you get home this should show the warranty start date as the date of puchase.

Thanks in advance

Get them back. Have them independently checked for the damage.

If it is confirmed that there is no water damage then sue.

Don't muck around. Just do it.

By the way, if it is the fan which has stopped working - then it is not at all difficult to open the case and to replace the fan.

You would need to remove the fan and get a comparable one on ebay. You may even find what you need on eBay. It is about a 10 minute job.

thanks,

but even though it has a plug on it i still wouldn't like to replace this myself,

which is why i thought i was doing the right thing by sending it back under the warranty.

Surely they should send me the photos requested.

I was told this laptop has been in a "tote" for five days.

I asked where it was stored in this tote and was it moisture damage from storage nothing was verified.

drove me mad going round in circle with them.

I asked for an email address for the claim investigation team and was told there wasn't one has to be done written letter by post.

Don't expect any joy from these people. You have to take the problem in hand.

Whatever happens, you will have to disprove the water damage opinion.

Get it back and then go for them.

If you are right then you will be able to get the cost of repair - plus compensation for loss of use.

However, be aware that Currys will be prepared to spend far more than the value of the repair merely trying to beat you down.

I would go to the trading standards.

It sounds to me the are pulling a fast one with you.

If you know nothing was spilt in the laptop then stick to your guns & dont give in to them.

You have a warantee for twelve months, so its covered for twelve months.

I would go to trading standards & tell them what the company have fobbed you off with & you are not prepared to put up with it.

Its disgraceful they are trying to get out of their commitment to honour your warranty.

You bought the laptop from PC world so the contract is with them not the manufacturer.

Tell PC world you either want your money back or a new laptop.

I would go in there when its busy & kick up a stink in front of all their prospective new customers.

Dont let them get away with it because I most certainly wouldnt.

If you tamper with the laptop yourself that would invalidate your warranty.

your issue is with the RETAILER under SOGA.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/forcustomers

it has NOTHING to do with any warranty.

a warranty is IN ADDITION to your rights under soga.

the fact there is any liquid damage will not be linked to a fan failure in any way.

ideally, ehat yu should have done was

as the product is outside of 6mths purchase

is to pay for an independent person to produce a report on the failure

then you present that along with the product to the retailer.

their option are to

1st repair

2nd replace

3rd to refund.

in all cases your inspection costs will be refunded.

they can choose as such.

before the currys 'crash' we did have a rep, but i fear they have no gone.

side issues....

there has been a very large increase in this 'water damage excuse' being used by curry's/knowhow of recent.

not sure why, you can derive your own conclusions....

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

it should have photos attached to the call system if they are saying liquid damage

try the data protection manager, most companys have one and they ussually have the say over release of data not the call centers

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

called currys helpline again as i was asked to yesterday to ask for photos to be emailed

spoke to 'manager' who said they couldn't view photos either, but was emailing the correct department for me. (not holding my breath).

i asked for the details of the data protection manager been given yet another address. a

ll these calls must be costing me a fortune at 5p a minute.

you would think in this day and age of technology there would be an email address.

looks like they only except snail mail. not very good for the customer but i suppose they think you will give up and not bother writing to them. not very good customer service.

On BBC1 every day at 11am,

there is the consumer program Watchdog. Its live every day, a

nd they give a phone number etc if the public have something they want them to take up for them.

get in touch with them.

I bet there are lots of others who have been fobbed off like you & Watchdog would let this be known.

Get in touch with them,

you certainly can't lose that way

. Best wishes

To be honest, I wouldn't even waste your time any longer with their 'hotline' or with them anymore.

They are just fobbing you off & giving you the run around & hoping in the end you will give up & go away.

But don't give up with your fight for justice on this matter.

This is how these company's get away with it when the customer believes what they are told & walk away.

I would never back down if I knew I was right, Never !

• 3 weeks later...

I will be very blunt but honest....

If they are saying there is water damage, there is. To anyone here who states that water damage would not effect a fan, I doubt they have ever seen a motherboard or know the first basis of electronic engineering.

If you have house insurance that covers accidental damage, claim under that, if you do not, I am afraid you will have to pay for an engineer to certify the damage is not there.

As for the statement that they would fix it if within six months, that is fully correct and within the law. It is assumed during the first six months that a fault is down to the manufacturer - which the retailer takes responsibility for that. After this period it is up to the consumer to prove that there is a manufacturing fault. In this case, the retailer has inspected the item and found proof that the item was damaged after manufacture.

If you push, they will probably send it to HP, but be aware that HP will charge you if you then want the item back and there is no manufacturing fault.

If you believe that the item was not water damaged, get the item back and have it independently verified, but be aware that motherboards have special materials on them which change colour if there has been water damage.

To qualify this response, I am an electronic engineer.

I will be very blunt but honest....

If they are saying there is water damage, there is. To anyone here who states that water damage would not effect a fan, I doubt they have ever seen a motherboard or know the first basis of electronic engineering.

If you have house insurance that covers accidental damage, claim under that, if you do not, I am afraid you will have to pay for an engineer to certify the damage is not there.

As for the statement that they would fix it if within six months, that is fully correct and within the law. It is assumed during the first six months that a fault is down to the manufacturer - which the retailer takes responsibility for that. After this period it is up to the consumer to prove that there is a manufacturing fault. In this case, the retailer has inspected the item and found proof that the item was damaged after manufacture.

If you push, they will probably send it to HP, but be aware that HP will charge you if you then want the item back and there is no manufacturing fault.

If you believe that the item was not water damaged, get the item back and have it independently verified, but be aware that motherboards have special materials on them which change colour if there has been water damage.

To qualify this response, I am an electronic engineer.

This.

They are able to provide photographic evidence once the correct department has been contacted, I have first hand experience with this myself with one of my older laptops. If they are unable to send them directly to you ask them to send them to your nearest local store who will be able to print them out for you.

• 6 months later...

I'm no longer amazed that I am finding so many 'water damaged' laptops.

This is a duplicate of a reply that I wrote in another thread, but it applies equally here, it seems this is now a very common occurrence.

I'm sorry to read that this has happened to you, but you are not alone. I can't post links because this is my first post, but if you google: 'moneysavingexpert sony water damage', my case is the top of the list.

Still yet to be resolved 4 months after breaking down. Unfortunately this seems to be a ploy by companies to avoid repairing works under warranty. Like you I treated my laptop with great care, but am now being treated as a liar.

If you google you will find at least another half a dozen similar cases, I think it's criminal that we are the ones that are immediately presumed guilty and have to prove otherwise, but of course, we can't. How can we prove that the laptop wasn't water damaged while in our care?

Maybe if we get enough people together we can collectively do something, I don't know, I have no legal expertise, and really who has the time? This has been stressful enough as it is. I hope you managed to get a better resolution than me.

Best wishes,

Julian

Did the people provide pics of the water damage in both cases? If so, I don't see how it can in dispute? The water marks wouldn't have been in there when you bought it, so they must have got there after purchase, either from a direct spillage or from a moist environment.