• Tweets

• Hello, on 9th of July 2018 I was issued a CCJ for 326£ for a non payment into my Natwest account - 6 month earlier I moved abroad and despite my better knowledge my direct debit with the phone company wasn't properly closed and the Natwest account went into arrears for that amount. As soon as I found out of that matter on 20th October 2018 I settled the amount in full with Moorcroft (the debt recovery agency instructed by Natwest to recover the amount).   When I returned to the UK I was shocked that my credit score was completely depleted - despited an otherwise good record - and that for the following 5 years I won't pretty much be able to access credit and other common financial products regardless of the fact the debt has been paid in full (and despite a stable high salary etc.).   When I contacted Moorcroft in January this year they said they can't do anything about it and the record will stay as is. They said the best they could do was to send me a letter (attached) that I can use as a confirmation that the CCJ was now settled. I was pretty sad and frustrated and shocked that a 300£ debt could put me into such distress (I literally cannot even get a monthly mobile phone plan) and despite having settled it I would carry such consequences for the next 5 years... so I archived the letter and tried to forget about it.   I recently checked my credit report and it states that the CCJ status is still active.   I would like to ask:  - is it really not possible to adjust the CCJ status ?  - are there any actions I can take to mitigate my situation ? - shouldn't at least Moorcroft have sent a more comprehensive letter stating that the CCJ was settled (instead of a generic 'payment received' with no indication of what and why) ?     Note: when I tried to contact Natwest in October 2018 they bounced mee across several departments but ultimately no-one could/would want to help as the account was permanently closed and passed onto debt recovery and they couldn't find much information about my records (apart from saying it's closed and Im no longer a customer of the bank and won't ever be able to be one again).   Thanks, V
    • I hope we can keep this thread for a discussion of SDs. If it descends into a slanging match then there probably isn't much point in having it.   HB
    • phew, just got an email from scmreferrals@justice.gov.uk.    I was worried that because the N180 was 5 days late, they would reject it.    There is still an new default on my credit file for the original amount + court costs. Surely Lowell shouldn't have submitted this yet?  
    • The solicitors have acknowledged my CPR request but have yet to provide anything, no response to my CCA request yet.   I would like to get a defence in before the end of this week, can anyone help me put together a defence?   Thanks
    • There were express terms of repayment of the capital plus interest over 60 monthly instalments.  However, you are saying the Default has no effect, so that when charged-off the interest did not have to be rescheduled?   P.S. It may be irrelevant, I don't know, but I can’t see an acceleration clause in the CCA allowing them  to ‘call in’ the entire amount of interest on the 5 year loan?  Copy of the Ts & Cs from my original CCA attached. Clause 2 (c) refers to interest being charged until settlement, but I’m not sure that is an acceleration clause.   If you have any thoughts on the above they would be greatly appreciated. 20191120102845876.pdf
  • Our picks

Kdtoll

Noticed 2 defaults, need advice please.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2514 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I am new on here and would really appreciate some help/advice if possible. I have recently checked my credit file and noticed I have 2 defaults on there. I knew I had these debts years ago but thought it has been longer than 6 years. I am sure it is to be honest.

I have a £407.00 debt with Lowell financial limited and another £209.00 with Marlin financial services, the first debt was with T-Mobile over 6 years back I am almost positive but on my credit file it shows Lowell have defaulted me from 2008 which is atleast 2 years after missing payments with T-Mobile.

My 2nd debt is similar in that it was with Clydesdale bank also over 6 years ago but have a default from Marlin in 2010, so why are these defaults appearing from these debt collectors years later than they should?

I am not sure exactly how this all works but it seems I should have been defaulted shortly after missing a few payments with the original companies and not years later by these debt collectors. Please correct me if I am wrong in any way.

These are small debts in essence and are now causing me problems as wanting to get a mortgage soon, all my finances have been back on track for some time and feel its a harsh punishment for so little amounts. But does this sound legit?

What can I do if anything? Just so annoyed as these defaults have only been placed 2 years ago for one of them and 4 years ago for the other when surely should have been defaulted alot longer ago, no?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Welcome to CAG.

Lets break this down one debt at a time Lowell first.

When was the T mobile debt defaulted by TMob?

Lowell should update the credit files when the aquire a debt BUT the original default date MUST be kept.

The Debt with Marlin /Clydesdale.

When was it originally defaulted?

Here are some facts to work on,

1. The date an account was opened is not really meaninfull when looking at defaults.

2. Defaults are usually placed within 6 months of the cause of action. ie the date when a payment was due and not made, after which no further payment was ever made.

3. Defaults are after 6 years from CRA files paid or not.

4. Statute Barred == 6 clear years with no payment or written acknowledgment of the debt.

So you need to know when/if Orange defaulted your account, the same applies to the Clydesdale account.

I think youneed to make A Subject Access request to Orange and Clydesdale to get all the data on the accounts, there is a statutory fee of £10 for this the creditor has 40 days to comply.Use the template from the CAG library and address the request to the Data Controller at the creditors head office addresses.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thank you for your helpful response. I am not sure at all the dates when T-Mobile or Clydesdale defaulted me roughly about 6-7 years ago I would reckon for them both but this is just guess work.

I will take your advice and send a subject access request that you mention, so I send one to t-mobile and one to Clydesdale bank with £10.00 enclosed in each is this correct?

Also is it ok to enclose £10 in cash as don't have a cheque book?

I am certain these debt collection agencies have not kept the original default dates and will be chasing this info up as per your advice.

Thanks and look forward to your reply.

Hi it would be best to use a postal order obtainable fromany post office for a small fee, safe and secure and can be tracked.

DCAs buy debt6 with the absoluteminimum of information, Default Notices are not routinely stored as hard copy,just note i the records that a DN was set on a certain date.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Hi it would be best to use a postal order obtainable fromany post office for a small fee, safe and secure and can be tracked.

DCAs buy debt6 with the absoluteminimum of information, Default Notices are not routinely stored as hard copy,just note i the records that a DN was set on a certain date.

Ok thanks I will send via postal order. Sorry 1 more thing, do I ask them to include the date when they issued the default or will that already be part of the information they send to me after I send the letter off?

YES ask for the original default date specifically and the actual default balance.

• Haha 1

YES ask for the original default date specifically and the actual default balance.

Ok will do, thanks alot for your help.

Please also check the date that they receive the request, the 40 days starts from then.

Will do, thanks.

Good luck please keep us posted!!

Its a well known trick of the DCA's that they register their own default dates, normally when they acquire the debt.

Only the original date of default from the original creditor is valid.

Quite how they get away with this repeatedly is a disgrace. It will usually be attributed to an "administrative error" but you will have to prove it by SAR the original creditor.

Occurences such as this are not an every day occurence, and is easily spotted and sorted out, the most common error is that when a DCA updates the entry for a date they have aquired they enter a whole new entry instead making it appear that 2 seperate defaults have been filed in 99.9% of cases the original default date is shown on both.

However there is some chang afoot it seems that the original entry will be marked as settled Balance £0 and a new entry with the balance £xxxx registered under the debt purchasers name, this is supposedly to reflect the true conduct of the defaulted account.

Was going to send letters on friday when I have a day off but sent an email to both ceo's at marlin and lowell to see if any luck. Lowell have emailed back saying I offered a good explanation and they will as a gesture of goodwill close my account on their system and have the default removed and that they would expect the default to be removed within 5 working days and I should check my credit file then for evidence of the removal.

Sounds good to me. I have not heard back from marlin yet and this is the main one as it does not leave my file until 2016 and is for only £209.00 originating from clydesdale bank. When I think about it this debt as av said is the wrong default date in which you advised me to send a sar which I will still do if not heard back very soon but I had a standard current account with clydesdale bank with no overdraft but remember clearly that one day an overdraft of £100 was suddenly there, me being quite poor then as at college said nothing an began using it but paying back in regularly but when I left college got a job but made unemployed I had no money just jobseekers allowance at this time and occurred a bank charge that they would not refund therefore it came to this unfortunate scenario.

Does that change anything that a mystery overdraft appeared without my say so and that bank charges have caused this? Or should I still just send a sar?

Thanks for anymore help/info.

Definitely send the SAR. Tell them that you require everything that they hold about you

If this ''mystery'' overdraft is pure charges then it should not result in a default and should not be reported on CRA files. the ICO Technical Guidance states that

''if a default sum is made up of charges without which the account would not have defaulted then no default should be placed''.