Bus penalty fare for transeferred pass

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4168 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, just wondering if any one could help.

I was fined £80 for a using a transferred pass on a bus monday because I didn't have my photocard. The pass was mine and I presented the inspector with ther forms of photo I.D and gave the inspector all my details to prove it was mine.

I can assume my son had removed my photocard from my purse with out me realising as it wasn't in my purse when the inspector got on and I found it at home. I even got on the bus at the same stop as the inspector! Something I certainly wouldn't do if I had a stolen pass or knew I didn't have mine in me.

You would think it would be obvious that it was an honest mistake and that it was my oyster card but despite everything he fined me but he told me I could send a copy of my photocard and the fine would be removed!

I appealed with a copy of my discount photocard to IRCA and they rejected my appeal saying it was my responsibility to carry my photocard. I agree, but surely the fact the fine was issued for a transferred pass and I proved I was the rightful owner they should remove the fine?

The fine was incorrectly issued, if it wasn't I would pay the very high price for an honest mistake and the tiny 65p discount but if anyone thinks I may have a chance at a second appeal please let me know how!

Thank you, Kaylie

Just like every other greeady slimey company, they have no interest at all in fairness or truth. No one will ever convince me they are not on a bonus for the amount of extra revenue they can bring in be it by lies or cheating. These companies are just ****.

Go see if it says in their T&Cs that you 'have' to have your picture with you at all times or any other such thing, they make this crap up as they go along. They are not better than bailiffs or debt collectors.

In all contracts, anything that affects you with some significance must be explained to you, did you even get a copy of their rip-off sheet (T&Cs) when you bought your cards?

Ask them to point out to you where it says what you were told.

Edited by Conniff

It does say it's only valid with photo I.D so I would have accepted the fine if it have been for not having a valid pass or something.

But the fact he issued a fine for a transferred pass (in other words calling me a thief and attracting everyone on the bus to stare at me) when it was clearly not stolen and I have proved it wasn't should remove the fine like he said it would. Surely there must be a way to avoid paying?

It's digusting that they can issue an £80 fine for a 65p discount that I was entitled to.

Kayliecat

Perhaps, you can scan the notice that you were given and remove all personal identification and reference details then post for us all to see.

Maybe somebody can make suggestions if there is something that stands out as clearly wrong.

I don't have a scanner and it wont let me post a photo I took on my phone.

The explanation of reasons for issue are

1) Cash ticket not valid

3) No ticket or pass produced

4) Non validated oyster

5) Non validated saver oyster

6) Pass used outside valid dates

7) Pass or photocard altered

8) Adult travelling on a child pass

9) Transferred pass

10) Ticket or pass not available on TFL buses

12) Family travelcard with out adult

16) Pass or ticket used outside valid times

17) Pass or photocard numbers incompatable or photocard defaced

18) Failing to purchase a ticker before boarding

There are no numbers 2,11, 13 or 15.

The fine I was issued was for 9. I would have thought that 4 or 5 would be the reason for issuing the fine because the oyster isn't valid with out a photocard rather than a fine for a transferred pass. I have proved the pass wasn't transferred and I was advised the fine would be removed if I proved that.

I'm debating paying the fine as it's reduced to £40 if paid in 21 days to avoid giving them any more money and trying to do a second appeal on the grounds that the fine was incorrectly issued.

Thank you all for your kind responses.

Also just wondering if I have a valid point in that if I was believed to be travelling with a transferred pass, why wasn't it confiscated?

The inspector checked and must have been 100% sure it was my oyster card when I identified myself to have let me carry on using the oyster card, so why issue a fine?

You would think it would be obvious that it was an honest mistake and that it was my oyster card but despite everything he fined me but he told me I could send a copy of my photocard and the fine would be removed!

I appealed with a copy of my discount photocard to IRCA and they rejected my appeal saying it was my responsibility to carry my photocard. I agree, but surely the fact the fine was issued for a transferred pass and I proved I was the rightful owner they should remove the fine?

The fine was incorrectly issued,

Because there is no 'tick box' in the list on the penalty notice that says 'Missing photo-card', the only choice that would appear to fit the bill is 'Transferred pass'.

That is how it would appear to anyone making a check in these circumstances, because there is a strict liability requirement to show the pass & photocard together.

Why would you 'think it would be obvious that it was an honest mistake' ? Unless the inspector knew you and saw your pass on a very regular basis, how would he know it wasn't transferred? It isn't the inspectors' fault, you did not show a pass with photocard when asked.

Sadly, taking the strict liability requirement literally, this does mean that IRCAS have determined that the penalty was correctly issued, but I am of the opinion that you should take a clear photocopy of both the pass and photocard and appeal again advising that you will take this matter further if not satisfied.

Ask them in writing for the charge to be frozen at the 'within 21 day rate' until such time as a further independent assessment has looked at their refusal to acknowledge your justified appeal.

If they refuse to acknowledge that it should be cancelled, try asking Passenger Focus to intervene on your behalf.

Because there is no 'tick box' in the list on the penalty notice that says 'Missing photo-card',

so no offence then. If it was an offence to not have the photocard with you, then surely there would be a tick box ??

so no offence then. If it was an offence to not have the photocard with you, then surely there would be a tick box ??

Not so, the matter could simply be reported as an offence. The issue of a penalty fare notice is not the only sanction for all offences.

Because there is no 'tick box' in the list on the penalty notice that says 'Missing photo-card', the only choice that would appear to fit the bill is 'Transferred pass'.

That is how it would appear to anyone making a check in these circumstances, because there is a strict liability requirement to show the pass & photocard together.

Why would you 'think it would be obvious that it was an honest mistake' ? Unless the inspector knew you and saw your pass on a very regular basis, how would he know it wasn't transferred? It isn't the inspectors' fault, you did not show a pass with photocard when asked.

Sadly, taking the strict liability requirement literally, this does mean that IRCAS have determined that the penalty was correctly issued, but I am of the opinion that you should take a clear photocopy of both the pass and photocard and appeal again advising that you will take this matter further if not satisfied.

Ask them in writing for the charge to be frozen at the 'within 21 day rate' until such time as a further independent assessment has looked at their refusal to acknowledge your justified appeal.

If they refuse to acknowledge that it should be cancelled, try asking Passenger Focus to intervene on your behalf.

Thank you for your advice.

I thought maybe option 5 fitted my "offence" better because I accept the fact the dis**** was not valid with out a photocard.

I do think it's a bit harsh to dish out such a big fine for a 65p discount. I did have everything in my purse other than the photocard and had proved who I was with photo I.D and that the card was mine.

The fact that I actually go on the bus at the same time as the inspectors would probably show I had no idea I didn't have my photocard and had no intention of doing anything wrong. Personally I would have seen a mum with her child and seen it as an accident and just remind them to carry thier pass in the future. But I suppose he would have got commision for an easy target.

Not so, the matter could simply be reported as an offence. The issue of a penalty fare notice is not the only sanction for all offences.

So if the purse is a bit empty, they can just make up any offence? These things have to be laid down somewhere?

So if the purse is a bit empty, they can just make up any offence? These things have to be laid down somewhere?

There are other (non Penalty Fare) laws concerning public transport which are far more extensive and serious.

The Public Service Vehicles (Conduct of Drivers, Inspectors, Conductors and Passengers) Regulations 1990 - Regulation 7.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1990/1020/regulation/7/made

Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981 - Section 25

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/14

Edited by firstclassx

Why do you need to see an actual law?

Tickets are issued subject to certain conditions, which are always available on request at point of sale. By using a ticket, you agree to the terms, regardless of whether you bothered to read them or not.

They aren't exactly hidden!

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/termsandconditions/899.aspx

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/termsandconditions/5004.aspx

And also printed on the ticket media, or at least details of where to locate the conditions.

Oyster_card_back.png

File:Oystercard.jpg

Edited by firstclassx

So that you will be aware if you have broken it.

I think you might find that the 'available on request' don't stand up any longer. Pertinent information must be given to each new customer especially any that affects them personally. This doesn' just apply to ppi.

So that you will be aware if you have broken it.

I think you might find that the 'available on request' don't stand up any longer. Pertinent information must be given to each new customer especially any that affects them personally. This doesn' just apply to ppi.

You are incorrect, sorry!

We are in the realms of criminal law, not civil.

How do you think millions of rail journeys are made each year? On the basis that the NRCoC is available on request and that is made clear.

You don't have to make a LAW available. Contracts etc, perhaps, but not legislation.

Your bank doesn't have to provide you a copy of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000!

So show me, link please.

Take it to the extremes.

I commit a murder.

Sorry, officer. You can't do me for murder because I wasn't told of the law beforehand.

I commit a travel offence on a bus.

Sorry, officer. You can't do me for the offence because I wasn't told of the law beforehand.

Even staff/police are not required to KNOW the exact wording of an offence, e.g..

Railway Byelaw 23(2)

The authorised person asking for details under Byelaw 23(1) shall state the nature of the breach of any of these Byelaws in general terms at the time of the request.

Therefore, I could say, your ticket is invalid because you don't have a photocard and I want your details.

When, in actual fact, the offence is:

In any area not designated as a compulsory ticket area, no person shall enter any train for the purpose of travelling on the railway unless he has with him a valid ticket entitling him to travel.

Any person reasonably suspected by an authorised person of breaching or attempting to breach any of these Byelaws shall give his name and address when asked by an authorised person.

Murder is not even in the same realms as the above and you are trying to turn the tables and that is not what I am saying and you know it.

If you don't have to tell customers anything about the service that are sold, then that must be laid down somewhere, I want to see it?

Is there or isn't there a condition that says you must carry your pic card at all times when travelling ??

Murder is not even in the same realms as the above and you are trying to turn the tables and that is not what I am saying and you know it.

If you don't have to tell customers anything about the service that are sold, then that must be laid down somewhere, I want to see it?

Is there or isn't there a condition that says you must carry your pic card at all times when travelling ??

But they ARE told, in writing, that it is issued to certain conditions and they can find them easily at xxx location.

It isn't about contracts/conditions/civil law.

It is about CRIMINAL LAW which (generally) does not require you to publish that something is an offence!

I genuinely don't know what you are trying to say! You are either saying that all laws must be made personally available, in writing, by anyone affected by that law or you are saying that by not being given a copy of the ticket conditions automatically, (i.e. without being asked), that, somehow, you don't have to comply with those conditions, despite it being made very clear how to access them?

For example, every ticket office (rail), can provide you a copy of the NRCoC. But they won't give you one unless you ask for a copy, but you are told they exist and how to get them, (by it being printed on your ticket/pass). Are you saying that is a problem?

Edited by firstclassx

What does 'Transfered Pass' mean,

And going by what you say - 'sorry judge, there is no tick box saying you can't drive at 200 years of age so I ticked the bald tyre box instead'.

But you don't end up in court on the tick box.

In this case, the "Penalty Fare" is completely withdrawn after a period of time (if unpaid/unsuccessfully appealed), and a summons can be issued for the criminal offence instead. In that court case, the Penalty Fare has absolutely no bearing because it was withdrawn.

In all cases where a Penalty Fare is appropriate, there is a strong case for successful prosecution as an alternative.

If they don't know the relevent laws, then how do they know one has been commited.

If you want to advise people, then give them the proper facts. As you are obviously one of them and have admitted you don't know the transport regulations, I have done your job for you.

"If you have an Oyster photocard or Oyster card with a valid discount concession on it, you cannot transfer it to anyone else to use. If you have an Oyster card or Oyster photocard with a valid discount concession on it, you can only use it if you have the appropriate supporting photocard or National Railcard with you at all times, including when you are purchasing a ticket or topping up an Oyster card, irrespective of the service you are using."

If it's not Oyster card in the op, then you go and get the relevent regulations to post up.