So much confusion over meter access and readings and way, WAY beyond even that (rented apartment)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4167 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I know the topic of meter access has been covered but my situation is a little unique and I'm at a complete loss.

When I first moved in to this apartment I had noticed that just as I was signing the lease and itinerary that meter keys would not be included... I asked then in my confusion, but was blown off as something normal by my (now former) letting agent and everything progressed as such.

My first snag happened as I was setting up my power, I was provided with an estimate to which I would pay until I got my initial meter readings and the current ones at the time I was setting up the new account, I phoned the letting agent to request the initial readings and was told back I should have received them when signing over the lease. They told me they would send another copy of these... they never arrived.

Since then it's been a mater of constant estimated bills and no response from that letting agent. The management company will only take notice of faults to the communal facilities, stating that all matters relating to individual flats need to be directed to the landlords or letting agents...

...though there was one instance according to my bills that Scottish Power (my supplier) managed to get hold of my meter readings and increased the charge... it wasn't much so I wasn't that phased by it, but there it was. I still wonder how to this day.

Anyway, back to the main problem... As of recently the said letting agent quite silently (with massive amounts of suspicious fraudulence) went bankrupt and liquidated, a few months passed, the agent was switched, and the new agent doesn't know anything at all in regards to the property management or it's meter access, I finally got to talk to my landlord for the first time in 2 years of living here, only to find she's rather stressed out from loss of rent, loss of deposits for pretty much all tenets and she also didn't know about property management OR it's meter readings...

...And just in time when all this is happening I get contacted once again by Scottish Power, asking for them and wanting to send someone to take them themselves.

Long story short, I now have a letter from Scottish Power almost demanding meter readings since they couldn't get access, and all persons involved with the property at a loss of what to do (and my landlord is a few hours away by car in another city, so it's not really that easy to involve her directly), and the only people that do are out of the question. I honestly don't currently mind the estimates, they don't break the bank, and would be willing to leave it as is... So what are my options?

M.

How long have you lived there? There is a time bar on how long they can chase utility bills.

Pop into the agent, the meter reading should be there in a filing cabinet and readily available.

If you don't want to do that, get yourself a brown envelope from the newsagent and send your request by recorded delivery, they just might think you have taken advice somewhere. Don't crawl in the letter, a simple request giving them 7 days to respond should be fine.

2 years now, the new letting agent is only been employed a few months now though. But like I said, the previous letting agent is still undergoing liquidation having gone bankrupt, it's not just that they wont say anything, it's that they don't even exist any more.

...but sadly these people who rather than state they are going bankrupt, sent out notices to all the tenets that they're changing their name and to set up a new standing order instead, are the only people that have the knowledge of the property let alone the keys to the meters. My current letting agent wouldn't even know the codes to the doors. I've talked to all parties involved and I'm no closer to getting the meter readings... best advice I've had is beg a neighbour for access (by my landlord).

Hi

How is the meter cupboard locked (as most just have a triangle key which you can purchase from local diy stores and dont cost much)

The other concern I would have is that you cannot verify that the meter reading are correct or even verify that the meter serial number on your bills actually matches the meter at the properties serial number.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I have those same concerns, especially considering Scottish Power somehow managed to see them at least once apparently. The cupboard is locked with a proper lock, should use a similar key to my door key, (tried it though, doesn't work).

How long have you lived there? There is a time bar on how long they can chase utility bills.

Pop into the agent, the meter reading should be there in a filing cabinet and readily available.

If you don't want to do that, get yourself a brown envelope from the newsagent and send your request by recorded delivery, they just might think you have taken advice somewhere. Don't crawl in the letter, a simple request giving them 7 days to respond should be fine.

Never ever rely on a letting agent to get anything right or do anything right !

If your moving in/out of your home take meter reading yourself and never ever rely on LL/LA/EA to do it for you.

Sounds like the owner/landlord has put a lock on the meter cupboard to stop meters been changed which they cant do anyway !

Utility's supplier has a right of access to there meter and could obtain Warrant,force entry,remove locks and send the bill for costs to who ever put locks on meter cupboard in the 1st place.

I'm at a loss to why this has been going on for 2 years ?1aK+F4PJ7cBm32CUNiyI2GAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...