martes

Reporting to the whistleblowing hotline - please help totally distressed

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2516 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My situation is as follows: Somebody rang the works whistleblowing hotline and made 2 allegations about me.

Allegation 1: That when i had the opportunity to re-hire an old employee in January 2010 to a new position that i did not follow procedures in order to receive the companies referral fee, i have been accussed of stating that I would give 50% of the fee to the re-hire, that I would not advertise the job for the given period that i would interview him.

Allegation 2: The whistleblower has stated that my current employer has overpaid me by £800 in June 2009 and I deliberately did not tell them.

I was interviewed as part of a fact finding exercise to allow me to hear the allegations. What the investigator did not know was that in September 2011 my line manager was asked by somebody to investigate the referral fee i received - not sure who this was all i was told was that an internal audit had flagged up i had been paid this referral fee and i may not have been entitled to it, i produced all my documentation that clearly showed that at all points of the recuritment process that HR and recruitment were aware of the fact of me putting forward the old hire for the new job. In addition to this i had no control over the advertisement i was not involved, I was present at the interview but did not interview him i was there to talk to him about how the role had changed HR interviewed him and they made the offer of employment. I was then told verbally that this matter had been closed in September 2011 and i was told that maybe there was a conflict of interest as I was going to be the line manager but as HR were presented and all parties knew i was asking as referral then it should have been picked up before the payment was made which was incidently 5 months after he was offered the job. I was told at that point no further action would be taken. I have at no point offered the old hire 50% of the referral fee.

Allegation 2: The whistleblower has claimed that I have been overpaid and have deliberatly kept the £800 over payment in June 2009. I have been through all my payments for the year of 2009 and no overpayment was made, however what i have uncovered is this, Feburary 2008 I was UNDERPAID by £800 then mid march i was paid the underpayment (800) as a one off payment however in my monthly March salary i was in fact paid the £800 so yes i have only just uncovered this due the allegations made, up until this point i had no idea and nor did my employer.

Concerns: I am so worried that I am going to be sacked for gross misconduct and accused of theft, however their are circumstances that should be taken into consideration, in January 2008 my father who lived overseas died very suddenly and the underpayment occurred because i should have been paid berevement leave but my employer did not charge my time correctly hence the underpayment, and I do remember this because the reason i noticed i was underpaid was because i need to pay my mum for my ticket to go overseas to bury my dad but couldn't withdraw the funds, I contacted my best friend who also works at the same company but now we have fallen out and told her i didn't have enough money for my ticket she offered to give me the money if payroll couldn't pay me, so i contacted payroll who said that they would ammend this and would pay the underpaid amount into my account within the few days, which they did.

As my employer had corrected the error before the next pay date I had no reason to assume that the following month my salary would have been overpaid as up until Febuary i had never had an inconsistent pay packet. So i carried on with my daily business without thinking anything of it, i was obviously completely distressed about my father and in addition to this i was going through a breakup with a partner who also shared my account so going through my bank details on regular basis is not something i do. Money was going in and out of my account i was trying to sort out berevement and a breakup payslips were paper and not given to us all the time.

What i am worried about is that my employer is going to say to me how did the whistle blower know it was £800 if you didn't tell them, I honestly don't know other than the fact that it appears my ex friend has a grugde and it is conincence that the amount is the same she knew about the underpayment because she offered to buy my ticket also how come my employer cannot identify the error ? and we have both had to wait for a whistle blowing allegation to be made before this error has been uncovered.

Please could somebody give me some advice here, I have been with employer for 7 years and i love my job but I feel totally devested. I have not been suspended yet I am told this is just fact finding.

Thread moved to the employment forum where the guys will be happy to help as soon as they are available.

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I see nothing in there that could be gross misconduct, all things ie the hiring and the overpayment have explanations and if fact there isn't an overpayment just a late payment. ??

Have I misread?

This would also have to be someone who is privy to your pay documents or the computer it's done on unless you've shared the info with someone?

Feburary 2008 I was UNDERPAID by £800 then mid march i was paid the underpayment (800) as a one off payment however in my monthly March salary i was in fact paid the £800 so yes i have only just uncovered this due the allegations made, up until this point i had no idea and nor did my employer.

I see nothing in there that could be gross misconduct, all things ie the hiring and the overpayment have explanations and if fact there isn't an overpayment just a late payment. ??

Have I misread?

This would also have to be someone who is privy to your pay documents or the computer it's done on unless you've shared the info with someone?

Seems there was two payments of £800 as I read it? Could the OP clarify?

Hi thanks so much for taking the time to reply, yes there were 2 payments of £800 however one payment of £800 was paid due to an underpayment which was because the chargecode used for the time was for leave without pay when it should have been for berevement leave, so they paid the £800 5 days after the error was noticed. I noticed i was underpaid because i used my card to pay for a flight and it was declined, the overpayment occurred in the following months pay. However this error of payment was made in 2008 and it has come to light through a whistleblowe this month November 2012, I had no idea of this overpayment and am completly distressed i am going to be accussed of theft as the amounts made by the whistle blower seem to be correct.