• Tweets

• Ok you are in the clear. The PCN does not comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 for two reasons. The first is that in Section 9 [2][e]  says the PCN must "state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and invite the keeper— (i)to pay the unpaid parking charges ". It does not say that even though it continues correctly with blurb about the driver. The other fault is that there is no parking period mentioned. Their ANPR cameras do show your arrival and departure times but as that at the very least includes driving from the entrance to the parking space then later leaving the parking space and driving to the exit. It also doesn't allow for finding a parking spot: manoeuvering into it avoiding parking on the lines: possibly having to stop to allow pedestrians/other cars to pass in front of you; returning the trolley after finishing shopping; loading children disabled people in and out of the car, etc etc.  All of that could easily add five, ten or even 15 minutes to your time which the ANPR cameras cannot take into account. So even if it was only two hours free time you could  still have been within the  time since there is a MINIMUM of 15 minutes Grace period when you leave the car park. However as they cannot even manage to get their PCN to comply with the Act you as keeper cannot be pursued. Only the driver is now liable and they do not know who was driving as you have not appealed and perhaps unwittingly given away who was driving. So you do not owe them a penny. No need to appeal. Let them waste their money pursuing you . 
    • If Labour are elected I hope they go after everyone who made huge amounts of money out of this, by loading the company with debt. The sad thing is that some pension schemes, including the universities one, USS, will lose money along with customers.
    • What's the reason for not wanting a smart meter? Personally I'm saving a pile on a tariff only available with one. Today electricity is 17.17p/kWh. If the meter is truly past its certification date the supplier is obliged to replace it. If you refuse to allow this then eventually they'll get warrant and do so by force. Certified life varies between models and generations, some only 10 or 15 years, some older types as long as 40 years or maybe even more. Your meter should have its certified start date marked somewhere so if you doubt the supplier you can look up the certified life and cross check.
    • No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Harassed by Fredrickson International Ltd (DWP Related)

5aq1b
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4158 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone - this thread might be a bit long and confusing so I apologise in advance :)

Towards the end of 2010 I made a claim for jobseekers allowance.

I was successful in my application and received the usual amount every fortnight in my account.

During the initial Q&A over the telephone when making my claim - I made it clear to the advisor that I will be working in my dad's shop, unpaid, for less than 16 hours per week.

On my sign on days i'd take along a sheet of paper outlining the hours I worked for my dad during the 2 weeks.

Until one day when I went to sign on, one of the DWP staff said I'm not allowed to receive benefits because I'm working for my dad

and that voluntary work only counts if working for charities etc.

After that no money came into my account and I never bothered going back to sign on.

On 30th Aug 2011 I received a notice of overpayment from the DWP for the amount that I received from them since the beginning of my claim.

On 29th Sept I received a letter from Iqor chasing the amount.

I had numerous conversations with Iqor and they kept putting the claim on hold for a week each time. I tried to speak to DWP but was going round in circles.

time went on and on 2nd Dec 2011 I received a letter from Geoffrey Parker Bourne solicitors chasing the amount.

I ignored it and I didnt hear anything at all until..

.7th Nov 2012! This time it's a letter from Frederickson International chasing the same amount.

I keep receiving phone calls from them but I am ignoring them altogether until I seek advice from you guys.

I have just received a letter on 20th Nov 2011 stating that Debt must be paid within 7 days, It's a "Letter Before Action" letter.

Can my credit rating be affected by this as I have spent years repairing it and i've only just recently now been able to take out phone contracts and apply for credit cards successfully etc.

What do I say to Frederickson? I see a draft letter here in this thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?116083-Help-with-fighting-Fredrickson-International-Ltd

Shall I use this?

Looking forward to the replies!

That is what I would do. It should at least buy you some time if nothing else.

I believe the letter you received is a standard letter sent out by the company in an attempt to pressure you into making a payment. Without knowing the figure you "owe", it is unclear whether it is likely they will consider court action.

At present I owe around £5000 in debt to both my bank and other creditors. I have very little income as I have been signed off sick for most of the year. I contacted CCCS, who assessed my income and agreed I couldn't afford to make any payments towards my debtors. They wrote a standard letter which I sent to everyone I owed money; explaining my financial situation. This may be something you want to consider if you can't afford to make any payment.

That is what I would do. It should at least buy you some time if nothing else.

I believe the letter you received is a standard letter sent out by the company in an attempt to pressure you into making a payment. Without knowing the figure you "owe", it is unclear whether it is likely they will consider court action.

At present I owe around £5000 in debt to both my bank and other creditors. I have very little income as I have been signed off sick for most of the year. I contacted CCCS, who assessed my income and agreed I couldn't afford to make any payments towards my debtors. They wrote a standard letter which I sent to everyone I owed money; explaining my financial situation. This may be something you want to consider if you can't afford to make any payment.

thanks, it's not that I can't afford it - it's just that why should I pay them back for money they paid to me knowing full well what my situation was after a thorough question and answer session and through fortnightly sheets outlining the hours I worked.

Frederickson do know the amount as well as it's on their letters.

Hi everyone - this thread might be a bit long and confusing so I apologise in advance :)

Towards the end of 2010 I made a claim for jobseekers allowance.

I was successful in my application and received the usual amount every fortnight in my account.

During the initial Q&A over the telephone when making my claim - I made it clear to the advisor that I will be working in my dad's shop, unpaid, for less than 16 hours per week.

On my sign on days i'd take along a sheet of paper outlining the hours I worked for my dad during the 2 weeks.

Until one day when I went to sign on, one of the DWP staff said I'm not allowed to receive benefits because I'm working for my dad

and that voluntary work only counts if working for charities etc.

After that no money came into my account and I never bothered going back to sign on.

On 30th Aug 2011 I received a notice of overpayment from the DWP for the amount that I received from them since the beginning of my claim.

On 29th Sept I received a letter from Iqor chasing the amount.

I had numerous conversations with Iqor and they kept putting the claim on hold for a week each time. I tried to speak to DWP but was going round in circles.

time went on and on 2nd Dec 2011 I received a letter from Geoffrey Parker Bourne solicitors chasing the amount.

I ignored it and I didnt hear anything at all until..

.7th Nov 2012! This time it's a letter from Frederickson International chasing the same amount.

I keep receiving phone calls from them but I am ignoring them altogether until I seek advice from you guys.

I have just received a letter on 20th Nov 2011 stating that Debt must be paid within 7 days, It's a "Letter Before Action" letter.

Can my credit rating be affected by this as I have spent years repairing it and i've only just recently now been able to take out phone contracts and apply for credit cards successfully etc.

What do I say to Frederickson? I see a draft letter here in this thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?116083-Help-with-fighting-Fredrickson-International-Ltd

Shall I use this?

Looking forward to the replies!

When you did the assessment over the phone when applying for JSA, the fact that you told them about working in your dad's shop should have been noted. They would have sent you a copy of the form. If it states on the form that you will be working in your Dad's shop etc, then the DWP have made an official mistake and cannot claim back the money. If you no longer have the form, which I think is called a "JSA Customer Statement" ask them to send you a copy.

When you did the assessment over the phone when applying for JSA, the fact that you told them about working in your dad's shop should have been noted. They would have sent you a copy of the form. If it states on the form that you will be working in your Dad's shop etc, then the DWP have made an official mistake and cannot claim back the money. If you no longer have the form, which I think is called a "JSA Customer Statement" ask them to send you a copy.

thanks - yeah I don't think i have the form anymore however on one of the occasions I was speaking to the DWP (Bradford office IIRC) the woman did mention that it sounds like there's been some sort of "official error".

The reason I mentioned the figure (not that I am asking what it is) is because if it's less than say five hundred, they are less likely to take you to court. If it's a thousand plus, it's much more likely.

For me personally, I actually don't mind if I get taken to court. My credit rating is abysmal, and the court will make sure I have an affordable payment plan. If you want to save your credit rating, it might be best to take steps to get this resolved before the possibility of court action comes into the equation.

If you plan to dispute the debt, contact both Fredrickson and the DWP in writing by recorded delivery. Then there can be no suggestion that either party are not aware of your dispute.

thanks, yep the amount owed is £395.

To get Fredrickson off your back and any other debt collector, write to them and advise that you dispute the debt due to it being an "official mistake" by the DWP and that they are obliged under OFT guidelines to return teh debt to DWP. You don't have to go into any details about it with Fredrickson.

To get Fredrickson off your back and any other debt collector, write to them and advise that you dispute the debt due to it being an "official mistake" by the DWP and that they are obliged under OFT guidelines to return teh debt to DWP. You don't have to go into any details about it with Fredrickson.

thanks - i guess a simply worded letter will suffice?

Just something along the lines of "having taken advice on the alleged debt, I now have very good reason to dispute the alleged debt and request that under OFT guidelines it is handed back to DWP!" You should be able to phone and ask for a copy of the customer statement and if you ask, maybe they can email it to you, if not, they need to post a copy.

Unfortunately he will be past the absolute time limit to appeal the overpayment, even if it was official error, the decision and debt now stands.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

He's only just found out about the debt.

There's a big difference between a debt being pursued and a debt being enforced by a court. In this case I think it is very unlikely anyone will pursue court action to claim this debt, and unlikely a court would support a claim even if they did.

He's only just found out about the debt.

There's a big difference between a debt being pursued and a debt being enforced by a court. In this case I think it is very unlikely anyone will pursue court action to claim this debt, and unlikely a court would support a claim even if they did.

Unless he appealled within 13 months of the overpayment decision, there is no facility to prove that the debt wasn't his fault. The court will not look at official error as this is a matter for a benefit Tribunal, and a benefit tribunal will not look at it as it is out of time. The only way it could be done is if he challenged or appealled the decision at the time, and the challenge or appeal was never actioned or decided upon by the DWP. As far as a court will be concerned, he owes the debt.

At present Fredrickson are attempting to collect the "debt". The letter the OP received is a letter which essentially threatens court action. Due to the amount owed being so low, I think it is very unlikely this situation would ever get to court.

If it did, I don't think the court immediately rule in the DWP's favour. The debt is 11 years old, and the court would look into all the evidence if the OP disputed the DWP's claim.

At present Fredrickson are attempting to collect the "debt". The letter the OP received is a letter which essentially threatens court action. Due to the amount owed being so low, I think it is very unlikely this situation would ever get to court.

If it did, I don't think the court immediately rule in the DWP's favour. The debt is 11 years old, and the court would look into all the evidence if the OP disputed the DWP's claim.

The debt is less than two years old, and the court are not allowed to look at official error in benefit overpayment debt.

Having looked at the replies so far, im not sure what action to take next? :(

From benefit perspective, did you ever lodge an appeal about the overpayment or request a reconsideration, that you never got a decision on?

From benefit perspective, did you ever lodge an appeal about the overpayment or request a reconsideration, that you never got a decision on?

Nothing official but i called them and IQOR so many times and just went round in circles.

Nothing official but i called them and IQOR so many times and just went round in circles.

Unless it was in writing and appealled within the time limit, then I'm afraid you're stuck with the debt.

when does the time start ? From the date I receive the initial "note of overpayment" letter from DWP?

Yes, the absolute time limit is 13 months from the date on the decision letter originally notifying you that you were overpaid.

Assuming you will have to pay this back.......

With any DWP debt it's best to clear it or one day when you really need a benefit the most they will snatch it back from your benefits. I had a job seekers overpayment (70 odd quid) from around 1998 (they contacted me about it a couple of years ago), I knew they could not take me to court for it and I don't claim benefits so they could not take it that way, however I also knew that I am in a position to repay it now, bit by bit (they take low repayments) and should I ever need to make a claim one day it wouldn't come back to haunt me when I needed money the most.

I would call DWP debt management team direct (not the debt collectors, ignor them), make them a low offer, a fiver a month or something and start to clear it. You never know when you might need to make a claim and when you do and you have a debt, they would take it back then and it will hurt more.

Having looked at the replies so far, im not sure what action to take next? :(

Ignore what one other other poster is telling you as I am speaking from personal experience. You can still claim as you have only just be made aware that it was an "official mistake". As far as I am aware nowhere in the regulations does it state you need to claim the official mistake within a specific time frame although it is expected to be reasonable. Get the letter off as you have nothing to lose and everything to gain!