jbeeson

Are there rules when a council obtains a liability order? Slough Borough Council

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2521 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there,

I recently received a summons for late payment of council tax. I went down the council and agreed a new direct debit payment plan with them. Then I received a new adjustment notice from the Council but not showing the new payment plan. I called the department and confirmed with them that the new plan was in place.

I called them today to confirm that first payment was to come out on Monday. But I was advised that that is had been passed the Council Bailiffs as they had sent a "Notice OF Liability Order" and on that was a request for information. I have checked my post and have not received anything in the post from the Council. I phoned the council tax department and they said I had 14 days to reply to the request for information and that has passed now and hence it had been passed to the Bailiffs department. The agent is going to look into this.

I was just wondering where I stood on this. I'm in the position where I could have paid the outstanding in 4 payments but not able to afford if they enforced this all in one go.

Thanks,

John.

You can still pay it in the 4 installments

pay it direct to the council online using correct reference number

you do not have to deal with bailiffs

write to the council and tell them what you intend to do they cannot refuse payment from you

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

You do not, as said above, have to deal with the bailiffs. Whatever is done or said, don't let them into your home. They can walk in through an open door, so keep them locked.

You can pay the council on line or take it to the office and they have to accept it, they are not allowed to refuse payment.

They like liability orders and it brings them in lots of money for very little outlay.

Have you got a copy of the liability order from the court ?

Then write to them by recorded deliver and ask them for a copy of the 'genuine' court document, not one of there made up copies. You are entitled to this and I would say not obliged to pay any fees whatsoever unless they send you a copy.

Then write to them by recorded deliver and ask them for a copy of the 'genuine' court document, not one of there made up copies. You are entitled to this and I would say not obliged to pay any fees whatsoever unless they send you a copy.

I bet the council just print one off!!

I expect you'll win that bet, but you have a right to a genuine document 'if there is one'. I trust councils less than bailiffs and debt collectors, they lie, cheat and steal. No one knows more than you that the cost of the LO is £3 but councils add around £100 to the bill.

If a print off of their own made up liability order arrives, then another letter should be sent by return, and perhaps this time with a bigger font and in bold, saying 'no, not council rubbish, a true copy of the court issued liability order.

What gave it away with me was the liability order from the court in a council envelope!

nothing more than fraud really

Seems many councils are quick to jump the gun with liability orders for late payers. I would imagine many people pay late, but never really have arrears. They probably pay late because of temporary financial issues which may be for only 2 - 3 weeks and then catch up again. However because the council has jumped the gun, they place these people in even further debt and a vicious circle then starts.