MBNA and Link - has the debt disappeared now it's been sold?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3991 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After another reading of my love letter from Link Financial I notice that it says that Link are now the new owner of the alleged debt. I presume MBNA are no longer involved at all.

I read on 'another' forum that by buying the debt Link have effectively cleared it and it no longer exists as a debt owed by me, allegedly.

I'm sure this can't be correct but the people on this forum seem a little wiser so maybe you can advise this poor serf of his misunderstanding? :???:

Thanks

No the debt still exists. If there has been a period of less than 6 years since the default, I suspect that Link will be adding their name to the default on your credit record shortly.

Do you know when you last made a payment towards this debt ? Has there been any CCJ granted ?

You should probably ask MBNA for an up to date statement of account at the point where the account was sold. DCA's have a habit of adding loads of interest to debts, as soon as they get their hands on them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The usual way of assigning the benefit of any debt or other legal thing in action under section 136 of the Law of Property Act 1925. Under that section, the basic requirements for a legal assignment are as follows:

• Only the benefit of an agreement may be assigned.
  • The assignment must be absolute.
  • The rights to be assigned must be wholly ascertainable and must not relate to part only of a debt.
  • The assignment must be in writing and signed under hand by the assignor.
  • Notice of the assignment must be received by the other party or parties for the assignment to take effect.

So you could send Link a CCA request and ask to see the deed of assignment to prove that they are able to contact you about this account.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

There is no point in asking for the deed of assignment it will not be provided without a court order if an NOA has been received as it appears to have been there is nothing to query here.

Link must update the credit reference file with their data ina reasonable time, THE DEFAULT DATE MUST REMAIN THE SAME.

The prove it letter from the CAG Library can be sent to link.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

There is no point in asking for the deed of assignment it will not be provided without a court order if an NOA has been received as it appears to have been there is nothing to query here.

Link must update the credit reference file with their data ina reasonable time, THE DEFAULT DATE MUST REMAIN THE SAME.

The prove it letter from the CAG Library can be sent to link.

I don't have an NOA only a letter introducing me to Link. They state they have been assigned this account in 2007 but it was only received recently and I've had no previous letters.

Ok best course of action, SAR to MBNA to get all the data on the account (any PPI?) statutory fee of £10 payable MBNA have 40 days to comply, address to the Data Controller and use recorded delivery and check the date received the 40 days starts then.

Also a CCA request to Link to see if they can produce an agreement stat fee of £1 payable Link have 12+2 working days to comply address to their Compliance Manager.

There are templates in the CAG library for you to use.

Good luck.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

• 4 months later...

I just thought I'd update this thread with the news that Instant Silver have now written offering a 40% reduction on a payment plan over 3 years for an alleged debt of £6400.00.

Clearly they must think I'm stupid enough to do that after maintaining complete radio silence for almost 6 years. :madgrin:

It's a lovely letter though, as in return for my payments they offer no telephone calls, no agent visits and no collection letters. Quite a deal. I might take two.

• 3 weeks later...