mj82

Used handset problem

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2525 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all, purchased a used iPhone from a local phone shop about 11 months ago all was fine but suddenly no signal, called network who said that the phone was reported stolen a few days ago, I explained to network that I had purchased the phone months ago, and have receipt but they said doesn't matter it's locked, and to go to shop where I purchased it from, I have took it back to the shop and they have taken it in and given me a receipt and said they will try and sort out, what I need to know is where would I go from here if they can't do anything ? Its a lot of money to be out of pocket, Sorry if in wrong section but wasn't sure where was best

They won't be able to sort it.

First, when reported stolen it's imei blocked and it will remain that way for good.

Second if they did 'unblock' it they would have to change the imei (which for an iphone4 there is no current way) and that would be illegal.

I don't understand why the shop even took it in and gave you a receipt. As soon as you told them it's reported stolen and blocked they should have known it is as good as worthless.

So ultimately the only option you will have is to use it as an iPod or sell it off abroad (imei blocking only affects the UK). You can sell them on ebay for about £100-150...

However.... This does not change the fact that they sold you a stolen phone and they need to do something about it.

Edited by ashmk

Ash.

If you think I have helped you, please add to my reputation by clicking the star button to the left.

Thankyou.