Took out Van rental and deposit with credit card ! No refund yet, who pays charges ?

omoeko
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4170 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

I took out a Van rental about 2 months ago, In order to avoid disputes etc, I decided to pay with my credit card both the Van fees and also the deposit as well. I was told that the refund takes about 10 days or so to get back to me, almost 2 months after I have not got my money back.

when I was paying my credit card bill, I decided not to pay the deposit portion as i thought I would get it back in time, now I opened my statement 2 weeks later and to my horror, I see interest charges and also late payment fees. I was livid and then decided to call them, they just said sorry it was a mistake, but I'm afraid sorry alone isnt good enough as it has cost me money in interest charges and late payment fees.

After taking the Van, the dashboard lights were not working and I had to go through the hassle of emptying the van out to get a new one and of course missed appointment too. As I thought driving at night and having to shine a torch at the dashboard to know what speed you are travelling at is too dangerous.

Now after calling them, the receptionist said she had just issued refund today and i then said what about my charges as I dont see why I should have to pay that afterall if they had returned my money within the 10 days stipulated, we wouldnt be having such a conversation. I worked it out that if the money was retuned on time, there shouldnt be any interest due from the credit card company etc.

Now I was spoken to in such a rude way, and even though I was the victim I was spoken to like as if I was a fraudster, after I said late payment fees cost 7 quid or so and the interest a tiny bit more than that. They insisted that they wouldnt be paying it, and now I wonder whether I ought to report to the credit card company as fraud as in the end the manager said he would only be paying interest portion and not late payment, I said I can show them the statement to prove it, he made it like i was lying and that I was desperate for the money. I dont like the way i was spoken to, and I want to know if I can report to the CC company, and claim off them and they can then sort it out with the Van hire company as clearly I dont deserve such a mess, especially if its not my mistake and no written apology etc.

Any advice welcome.

I think that they are liable for the interest you lost on the missing money - but probably not the charges.

It seems unfair but in these circumstances companies are not normally responsible for your impecuniosity. You could try it anyway - but I expect that you would have to get very close to issuing a claim for it.

They have responsibilities to provide you with a vehicle in good working order. The the condition of the vehicle compromised your use of it, then I would be claiming a portion of the rental fee as well. I would imagine that they would be concerned about that as they would not want to get a reputation for that kind of thing.

I even took the inconvinience of the van on the chin, I was late, we had to empty the Van and then fill it up again, well I took it like a man and said s*it happens atimes, but the charges thing was that one that hit me hard and I find hard to take ?

Should I ring up the CC company and say, well I have not got my money back and they should take the hit as I feel hrd done by taking the hit for something thats clearly not my fault.

You shouldn't talk to anyone on the phone. Any correspondence should be by recorded delivery letter. List the out of pocket and charges etc and write asking for it. If they say no, write again only this time make it a Letter Before Action.

Don't threaten court if you don't intend to go ahead with it though.