Jump to content


Tax Credit and Benefit Help

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2521 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

I know there are lot of these threads and I apologies for asking this question again but I couldn't fin a answer or find any resolved issues.


So here's my story:


I got letter from HMRC today saying:


Your tax credit awards for 2011-12 as a single person.


We have selected your award for checks because you have claimed as a single person and the information we hold about you shows Mr xxxxx might be living with you. if they are your partner you should have claimed tax credits as a couple.


I Have tried calling citizens advice the helpline gave me no help and I cannot get in touch with my local office but it is constantly busy.


I originally started claiming JSA and Child Tax Credits as a single person because my partner wasn't living with us and when he moved in he was waiting for a claim for student finance to be processed to I continued to claim. When his student finance was processed I was worried that we wouldn't have enough money for food, bills ect. so i have continued to claim. Now the girls are in nursery I have been looking for work but to no avail so far.


I have no idea what to do.Do I wait to try and get hold of CAB or just phone HMRC and be honest. I am scared of what will happen to me. will this have a knock on effect with the other benefits. Could someone please give me some advice of what to do?


Many Thanks in advance

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Phone HMRC with the date your partner moved in. They'll stop your single claim and send out the forms for you to claim as a couple. From the sounds of it there'll be a small overpayment you'll have to pay back but they should agree to a payment plan once they have worked out how much you owe.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...