• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Barclaycard P.P.I. advice on a refusal

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4162 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last year I was trying to sort my finances out and noticed Barclaycard were taking insurance money every month.

I thought this was my I.D. protection insurance which is only meant to come out once a year, so I phoned them.

The person on the end of the phone told me it was meant to come out every month,

I told him I was told when I got the I.D. insurance that it would only be paid yearly,

after about five minutes of insisting it comes out ever month

he finally told me it wasn’t the I.D. Insurance it was P.P.I.

At the time I had no idea what this was and asked him to explain it and after hearing what it was I told him to cancel it as I never asked for it or even wanted it.

I was then told someone would contact me about why it was being paid without my knowledge.

I did asked how long had they been taking it and was told since I opened the card account in 2001.

No one contacted me and I forgot about the whole thing until a year later when someone asked me at work if I sorted it out.

Phoning them back up I was again told I’ll be contacted about it,

around a month later I got a questionnaire form about why I think I was mis-sold P.P.I which I filled out and sent back.

I then got a later stating I would have a decision by 11th November 2012.

Having heard nothing I phoned them yesterday 22nd November and was told a letter was sent dated 16th but they would resend it as it never arrived.

The person then told me it stated they refused my claim and said there was an eight page reason as to why but it was pretty much their standard response (his words),

he stated it said that it is Barclaycard’s policy to explain everything to their customers regarding the P.P.I.

and they can find no reason to suggest that all aspects were not fully discussed with me,

therefore they will not uphold my complaint.

As I said at the start the first I knew I had P.P.I. was in 2011,

I never asked for it or indeed even knew what P.P.I. was until last year when I phoned them up.

I have a stable job that I’ve been in for fourteen years and have no reason to think I would lose the job so again have no reason for P.P.I.

Could anyone here give me any advice on what I do now to reclaim my money?

Thanks in advance,

James

Hi

Wait for the letter to arrive and you can then challenge them on their refusal to uphold your claim.

It would be useful to know what reasons you put on your questionnaire as to why you feel it was mis-sold.

How did you apply for the card and how long ago would you say?

Hello and thanks for the reply.

I didn't apply for a Barclaycard as such. When I was in the bank putting money in, the person behind the desk asked if I wanted a Barclaycard. I remember saying I didn't have time to fill anything out and they said it was fine I didn't need to as an account holder they have my details, I said okay why not and a few weeks later it came in the post. This was back in 2001.

The reason I put on the questionnaire was I didn't even know I had PPI until 2011 when I phoned them to ask why my I.D. insurance was being taken out monthly. I then asked them to cancel it and put in a complaint which they ignored until I recontacted them a few weeks ago.

The eight page letter just turned up and it's two pages long!

It states a bit about their sale requirements at the time, then says they refuse my complaint as they cannot find any evidence to suggest that they did not give me this information or that they put me under pressure to take out the policy.

It then states this is their final response to my complaint.

thanks,

James

P.S. sorry for grammar mistakes I have a migraine right now and it's hard to focus.

There is nothing to stop you challenging their decision.

The process is to compile a letter back to them refuting any points in the rejection letter which you disagree with.

You can have a read of Appendix 1 of the FSA handbook which may give you some more information on things that you can use in your challenge

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?305682-FSA-Handbook

The other alternative is to lodge your complaint with fos but they will take a long time to resolve the issues.