style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2524 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I have been declared bankrupt and have had my interview with the OR - they said I should be discharged in 12 months.

They didn't want to go through my income and expenditure yet, as I've only been self employed for a few months before declaring bankruptcy, and they wanted to review my I&E in three months.

I am aware that an IPA will be put in force for three years if I have surplus income during the 12 months, and I want to avoid this.

As I am self employed, I can 'throttle' my income for 12 months and just take it a little easy, take on a few less jobs until discharge, thus avoiding an IPA. I just want this over and done with ASAP, not to drag on for three years when I can be 'out' in one.

I wanted to clarify one thing: When I declare gross income to the OR, do they take into account the tax and NI that will be payable when I eventually do my tax return? Do they have a formula for that calculation? I don't want any surprises.

I'll will eventually make a post about my bankruptcy experience as it may prove useful to people here.

Thanks.

I think you will get better advice on MSE for this. No disrespect intended to CAG - but MSE have a well populated forum specifically for BR.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136

Don't expect much sympathy though - many people on there will be paying an IPA and not have a choice.

The OR will normally put you on a NT tax code so you should pay zero tax whilst you are not discharged... Not sure about National Insurance.