• Tweets

• Thank you for your advice.  The owner is happy to write to the Bailiffs and include a copy of his council tax bill and a utility bill. Should he show proof of van ownership too? Would he need to photocopy insurance and v5 documentation for that?   Sorry to ask probably very silly questions.    Also should he write to the Creditors with the same information?  How far can the Creditors take this. With no savings, income or home etc, there is no way to recover anything right now.  Thank you    I 
    • See what you think about the attached.  I haven't really changed your arguments, merely changed the order to make them more obvious for the judge.  Please check for accuracy. I've also royally knackered the numbering and layout Regarding your partner's WS, cut out the first paragraph as it's unnecessary and confusing with its talk of appeals. I see the PCN mentions the amount may rise to £120 if you don't pay - then the idiots went for £170 in their court claim!  Very bad own goal. I also see their solicitors say they won't turn up to the hearing - if so you're more or less guaranteed to win.   Defendant's WS - version 2.pdf
    • Hi,. I purchased a car from In Herts Motors on the 9th July 2024.  They told me it had an intermittent fault with a sensor which was just a sensor issue. The tyres were threadbare so I went to get them replaced on the 11th July, the mechanic pointed out white smoke coming from the engine bay.  I got this investigated and the car has actually got a blown head gasket. Judging by the mess it has been blown for sometime. I contacted the company and requested a refund or repair as I've had the car 3 days at this point, they are flatly refusing claiming they told me the Engine was faulty, this is a barefaced lie. I've had to raise a county court case to deal with this matter.  My question here is what do I do with the car?  I have had to bite the bullet and buy one on finance from Cinch.  Do I SORN the car or do I sign it back over to the trader and park it on the street? I've only one parking bay and my new car is going in there.   Thanks guys.
    • I've seen a lot of that 'the UK prepared for the wrong pandemic' and although that is true as far as it goes, the simple fact that even the flu pandemic guidelines if they had been followed correctly would have reduced many of the impacts, and are useful and usable in many situations   alongside the - we will sell your NHS data app and the VIPal lane, and the bring million back from hotzones and send them across the country with no testing or management ...  among MANY failures of proper policy
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

new to all this

knobby1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6629 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi guys i am a bit confused wether i can claim anything back off my bank or not over the last 4 years i have incurred about 70 charges for returned direct debits on my select account, i know i have inccured these as there wasnt enough money in my account to cover them. so infact its my fault i have paid these charges ranging from £30 to £35 for each one. the finacial ombudsman says a charge of £12 for each returned d/d is ample so can i chase them for the difference? which is about £1500? i also have a fairly hefty overdraft which i am always at the max on and when i incur a no payment of d/d it puts me over it. any views would be appreciated thanks.

LLOYDS TSB

DPA: REQUEST SENT: 11-04-06

RECEIVED 28-O4-06

PRELIM LETTER SENT: 04-05-06

RECEIVED SOD OFF:06-05-06

Hi,

Welcome to the group. It sounds like you should be able to ask for a refund for ALL your charges, so you are in the right place. Don't be misled by the OFT statement - whilst it is welcome in part, the statement only says that a charge OVER £12 would be considered worthy of legal action as a penalty. On the group we believe that any charge that is more than the banks own cost (ie anything greater than about £0.50-£2.00) is a penalty.

It really does take a few days to get your head around all the arguments and all the information.

You will be setting a timetable (the timetable that the bank says it will work to is irrelevant). In the FAQ you will find 'first steps.' Start this, be clear on what your first step is (requesting the info from the bank so that you can calculate what they owe you)

Whilst waiting for the info, read up on your next step. If you make sure you stick to your own thread in the relevant area (eg [username] claim against [bank]), and use this as a sort of diary which you can update as things progress. It will also enable you to check responses to your questions, and people will be able to find your thread a lot easier.

Good luck.

You are here, you want your money back, you will get help and support in this, but it is YOUR call, and you must be prepared to put in the effort.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

thanks for your reply skull ive been reading a few threads if the bank gets funny and calls in my overdraft of £1500 its going to make me pennyless and some next payday, is there anyway i can avoid them calling in my overdraft or do i just have to bite the bullit and put my wages into my wifes account (which is also a the same branch!!!)

LLOYDS TSB

RECEIVED 28-O4-06

It would certainly be prudent to open a 'parachute' account, just in case the bank gets nasty and closes your account. There are lots of threads on this, but the general consensus seems to be that the two easiest to open are Co-Op Cashminder and NatWest Step accounts.

Regarding the bank calling in an overdraft, it is a real possibility, and is really a matter for them to decide. There is a thread here on the subject: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1898&highlight=overdraft

The best advice is to be polite and firm - you are sticking up for your rights, you are NOT going to war with the bank. If the bank gives you leeway, and is prepared to be helpful (not likely) then listen to what they say.

However, it is YOUR timetable, and you must not let the bank take the initiative.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

thanks skull i have requested a meeting with my dad!!! he is absolutely the most money wise and "thrifty" person i have ever known now i aint casting any stones but he is "quite" old and scottish!!!! as for parachute account my credit is so shot to bits (reasons i`d rather not go into on this site) that it is improbable that i would be able to open another current account anywhere else so i am going to wait till i can speak to my boss at work regarding having my wages paid into my wifes bank account. that way when i try to recoup these bank charges i have a small safety net. Regarding the overdraft on my account to be quite honest i would see them as closing my account and settling my overdraft as a done deal but if they dont accept those terms early on i WILL be going all the way with this, i just think it is absolutely rediculous that they can return a d/d for £12 and charge you £35 for returning that d/d, but we will just wait and see i would appeciate any input from ppl chasing bank charges and how they are getting on. please guys feel free.

LLOYDS TSB

RECEIVED 28-O4-06

Don't assume that you can't get a parachute account. My credit rating leaves a lot to be desired...but the cashminder account, because of its basic nature, does not require a credit check. It really is a pay in, pay out, DD and no overdraft account...took 16 minutes on the phone.

But if you claim back from your bank, and they do get awkward, it is good to ensure you have something to fall back on.

Knobby.. my credit is more screwed than a screw-in lightbulb but I was accepted for a natwest step account.

It's very basic, no overdraft but you can have direct debits, standing orders and your wages paid in and I think that's ok for most things. They also give you a solo card so you can still pay by card in shops etc.

This is the link to apply online. They are pretty quick, took a week to do mine by post.

http://www.natwest.com/personal02.asp?id=PERSONAL/DAY_TO_DAY/CURRENT_ACCOUNTS/STEP_ACCOUNT

Hope this helps

DPA SENT 11-04-06

recorded delivery

right guys will now wait the 40 days and go through it with a fine tooth comb bought a yellow highlighter whilst i was in the post office, just hope 1 will be enough!!! i am getting increasingly angry with my bank when i go over my statements on-line just to see how much money they have taken from me and recall the times very well when i have no money left to feed my family because the bank has charged me £100`s of pounds in charges, the most i can see is a charge of £180 in 1 month for returned D/D`s. to be honest it looks like its going to come in just under the £3000 mark and i hope i get every penny back.

LLOYDS TSB

RECEIVED 28-O4-06

Hi,

You have spurred me on too - did not have a parachute account but read through your threads and with the link that was there, they have agreed initially. Wonderful.

Doing both of my accounts for repayment charges. Absolutely wonderful advice and thanks for the link

Halifax - Since 2003 £1,186 DPA Request: 24.03.06

PRL - sent Recorded 05.04.06

Letter received 07.04.06 - Thanks but No thanks

LBA - 20.04.06 Refused Money Claim filed 08.05.06

Served 14.05 Acknowledged 16.05.06 - 28 days to go

:D WON - PAID IN FULL 25.05.06

Lloyds [/i]- Since 2000 £780.31 - DPA Request: 23.03.06

PRL - sent recorded 10.04.2006

Letter Rec'd 13.04 - Not interested

LBA - 13.04.06 Money Claim filed 25.04.06

Served 01.05.06 & Acknowledged 03.05.06. - 28 days to go

Defence received 25.05 - Here we go

a small bit of advice needed please i have just received my papers through regarding my parachute account its a natwest step account they have sent me requests for transfering existing D/D and standing orders etc from my old account, at this time i do not want to change any of my existing bills from my account over to this 1. do i have to change them or can i just leave these bits out of my application???

LLOYDS TSB

RECEIVED 28-O4-06

please disregard above question i had my thick head on, 1 thing i would like to know is how much of our money these banks are going to waste with ppl taking them to court in stead of paying up when they know they cant win? £120 + £100 + £10 DPA + interest must be heading for £300 for evey case, not to mention their time and effort just think all we need are 1 million ppl to stick 2 fingers up at the bank and bye bye lloyds

LLOYDS TSB

RECEIVED 28-O4-06

I think that they are just trying to stall and deter ppl ATM.

There are always going to be a proportion that will not pursue their claim to court. The money they don't pay out to those will pay the extra £300 to everyone that does.

The more ppl that claim back Their money the more likely that they will settle straight away to save on costs:D

parachute inflated just got confimation this morning through post (plus post was 4 pages back trying to get it somewhere i can find it again lol) this snowball is going to be very big by the time it gets to the bottom of the hill

LLOYDS TSB

RECEIVED 28-O4-06

To find your thread again easilly-

click on search on the top blue bar

go to advanced search

type in your username in the right hand box

choose "find all threads started by user" in the drop-down box below it.

This should find all threads that you have started and make it easier to find.

Alternatively just look through the posts and keep track of what everyone else is up to.

a quick question what is trolling??? ive read it on the "word from the banks" forum just before a thread gets locked!!!

LLOYDS TSB

RECEIVED 28-O4-06

had my DPA request back yesterday not a bad turn arround seeing as there quite busy at the moment the reference number was in the several hundreds. there are a few cases early on where there appears to be some manual intervention and pre 2002 letters say automatically generated but post 2002 they just say standard letter, i would like to hear from any 1 from lloyds bag who have had this as i am a little unsure which ones i can claim for (i know the ones with manual intervention i cant)

LLOYDS TSB

RECEIVED 28-O4-06

AFIK you still claim for the charges that had manual intervention.

The reason that you ask for details of manual intervention is to show that not all of the charges require manual intervention and so £35 cannot be a true pre-estimate of their costs.

If you claim for all of the unlawful charges and the bank use the defence that each one needed manual intervention by 3 people you can now say that according to your notes only so many % did. As they will know that you have details of manual intervention, that in itself will probably stop them using this defence.

i have added a bit to the first letter under the "what i require" can any1 advise me if this is ok or should i just leave it out

What I require

I calculate that you have taken £xxxxx. if and when this matter should be brought before a small claims court i will also be claiming costs and interest on this amount.I am sorry it has come down to this as all was initially trying to recover was an unpaid standing order charge on the 03/10/2005 which had be applied to my account for no reason whatsoever after 4 telephone calls to yourselves where i was informed that some one would look at it and get back to me (which no one did) you did not even have the comon decency to return my calls, i am now demanding the return of all the unlawfull charges levied on my account since August 2002.

LLOYDS TSB

RECEIVED 28-O4-06

prelim letter (slightly amended) sent today 4th may first class recorded delivery:D

LLOYDS TSB

RECEIVED 28-O4-06

received the usual blah blah letter just 2 days after i sent the prelim letter!! wow that was fast now i know i dont have to wait the 14 days before i send the letter before action but i will as if i dont it buggers up my time frame a bit. i have drafted a small reply to my standard drivel though and i have a new name for the list at service recovery mine was signed Chris Dunnett. as i`m not very litterate or intellegent can some 1 give me the nod if it looks ok please i would appreciate it.

Thank you for you letter dated 5 May 2006, your comments have been noted.

I do however, have some concerns about your response. I requested that you entered into a sincere dialogue with me about this issue and I note that you have competely failed to do so by opting for a general resonse letter. I regret that you will not take my concern about your unlawful charges seriously, you state in your letter you had included a copy of the leaflet 'How to voice your concerns' , I would like to draw your attention to the fact that this was not received.

I shall of course be sending you a letter before action at the end of the 14 day deadline.

LLOYDS TSB

RECEIVED 28-O4-06

Hi Knobby,

I am 1 day ahead of you and so is reload. We both received brief reply then another one today ( Reload has put it on his thread ), you should get that one on monday.

Would not bother to write to them I'm just gonna wait the 14 days then send them LBA.

I'm wondering whether they've actually run out of 'How to voice your concerns' leaflets :D :twisted:

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6629 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks